Malocclusion and Infection

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:31 am

No further ideas - but for the food bowl, you could go with a standard flared bottom stainless steel bowl that is very difficult to flip.

Nonagp

Post   » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:16 pm

I've been wanting one of that kind, but finding they're either massive and/or have rubber grips sticking out at the bottom which I think he'll either chew on or use to flip it :(

Do you have any tips on encouraging more hay while critical care is being reduced? I find he'll be excited about hay right after a feeding session, but after a while just sits there and waits until I drop another handful in more frequently than getting it from the hay rack - which will be really bad when I start going back to work. They used to eat a lot more from the rack. He'll also be more inclined to wait for pellet time or (especially) veggie time

Also, if he's fully eating on his own and maintaining his own weight should I still add some critical care until he is normal weight again? Or just encourage more dry pellets to allow him to build weight since he prefers that over critical care? Is it a good idea to use more dry pellets even before he's fully off of critical care? I've reduced critical care to about half the amount now. Got a bit ahead of myself and he lost some weight between yesterday/today so I increased the amount back up some. I want his weight up, but at the same time I don't want him to fill up too much on critical care/pellets...

I never thought getting back to his normal diet would be such a challenge considering how much he hates critical care...

Thank you again

piggylover49

Post   » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:24 pm

I don’t have much experience with guinea pigs, so someone else can help you with the critical care/ pellets, but I do have an idea for the bowl for you. I have never actually used this product, I have only heard about it. They have a 1/4 cup size for small animals, so I think that might work for you. Here’s the link:

Good luck with your piggy!

Nonagp

Post   » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:49 pm

I don't see a link, but I feel like you're referring to a STAYbowl? I've tried a plastic bowl with a flared bottom of similar thickness. It was even easier to flip as he just lifted it with his teeth and threw it like a frisbee. If they made it out of stainless steel I would've tried it. Thanks though!

piggylover49

Post   » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:28 pm

Yes, it is a link to a STAYbowl. Sorry it did not work for you! I hope he continue to improve, he is very lucky to have an owner like you!

25 posts