Looks like beginning bloat

certika

Post   » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:04 pm

I've had Certik (adult male, around 2 years old) for a little over a year. I got him from a local rescue when he was (they believed) around 6 mo old. In the past 7 months he's had three severe episodes of GI stasis/gastric bloat. He was hospitalized for two days about three weeks ago; when he got home his bloat was gone, his sides and stomach looked normal and didn't feel 'doughy'. I just got back home after being away for a couple of weeks (my parents were looking after him) and it looks like he may be starting to build up gastric bloat again. He's eating and moving fine, and doesn't appear to be in any pain. His sides look a little swollen (left more so than right), but not as badly as they were last time. Does anyone have any suggestions? If this is bloat, I want to be able to nip it in the bud so the poor guy doesn't have to spend another weekend at the hospital.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:26 pm

Have you followed the links here?
www.guinealynx.info/emergency.html#bloat

What do you feed him?

certika

Post   » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:20 am

He had a little bit of fresh grass yesterday morning when I put him in his outside run; I kept him on hay for the rest of the day, and it looked like his bloat was almost gone by the evening. His sides were definitely less swollen, but one of the rags we put him on had colored spots on it. It looks like he might be having bloody urine, but I didn't hear him squeaking at all and he didn't seem to be in any distress. I've read that with UTIs passing urine is usually very painful. He's eating, drinking, and pooping normally, and it looks like the bloat hasn't returned this morning. I gave him a few leaves of lettuce at breakfast this morning and am planning on keeping him primarily on hay for the time being. I reduced his pellet intake at the vet's suggestion and that seems to have helped a little bit.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:51 am

Skip the fresh grass for now (unless he is very used to it - and even then, only a small amount if you want to avoid increasing the possibility of bloat).

Read www.guinealynx.info/stones.html Stones are very common, unfortunately.

certika

Post   » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:05 pm

I mixed a few dandelion leaves in with his hay so he'd have to forage for it and to encourage him to actually eat the hay (if there's something fresh and green he usually eats that first). No grass today; bloat looks like it's almost completely gone. I kept an eye on the rags in his pen; he peed a couple of times and it looked normal, no grit and no noticeable pink/red tinge. Still eating and passing regular stools just fine.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:32 pm

We recommend keeping your pet guinea pig inside. Taking them out for supervised time in an enclosed space can work but leaving them outside unattended, there may be problems (it can be hotter than you realize).

certika

Post   » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:53 am

Update; Certik seems to be doing better. We've decreased the amount of fresh grass/greens he gets as well as greatly reducing pellet intake. This seems to have taken care of the gas bloat; he still seems to get a little full now and then and sometimes doesn't poop for two or three hours. He still eats and drinks normally; urine has been normal. Increasing his floor time when we notice the distension and making him forage for his food seems to help with the fullness, and he'll usually start pooping normally again after a while.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:26 pm

Yes, getting him moving will definitely help! Glad to hear you've been able to get this bloat somewhat under control.