Discoloured chipped tooth

Hedra2

Post   » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:08 pm

We just adopted a 3 year old male guinea pig who seems to be in good health other than the fact that one of his front teeth is chipped and quite discoloured. For now he is eating just fine but I remember having to have teeth for a previous pig clipped after she chipped one as it made it difficult for her to eat. I live in a small town with the nearest guinea pig vet 2 hrs away (and only open M-F) so I thought I would ask to see if anyone has any advice here first since it is not an emergency. Can you trim them yourself at home? Should I be concerned about how misshapen and yellow it is? I have a really good photo of it but I don't know how to attach it or if you can even post pics here.

Hedra2

Post   » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:29 pm

I think I figured out how to post a picture, hope this is ok:

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:19 pm

Would you like me to add your pic to your topic permanently for future readers?

I would just keep an eye on it at this point. Teeth grow quickly and unless there is an underlying issue, should wear correctly. Read every bit of this, especially noting the warning about cutting teeth too short:
www.guinealynx.info/teeth_broken.html

The discoloration may indicate a previous injury, in which case the tooth could even fall out. It is also possible this guinea pig has a peg tooth.

Hedra2

Post   » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:48 am

Thank you so much, greatly appreciated.

Yes that would be great if you wanted to properly add the photo thanks.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:05 pm

Thanks. I replaced your pic above with a crop of the same photo. Do let us know how things go. I hope the tooth stabilizes or at least causes no difficulties eating.

Hedra2

Post   » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:07 pm

So on Friday we noticed that this tooth looked worse (will try to get a picture) and Halloween had started sneezing, drooling and was not eating nearly as much as he used to. We got him into the vet yesterday and they are not sure if it is malocclusion or a tooth abscess. They had a hard time seeing in his mouth cuz of food and squirminess. He is on metacam, baytril, subcutaneous fluids, critical care, and he goes back on Wednesday for sedation, possibly x-rays. and whatever treatment is needed depending on what they find. They said for sure his lower front teeth will need trimming. They suspect an abscess in the ugly looking front tooth.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:14 pm

A good dental xray should provide valuable information. Meanwhile, I imagine you are weighing daily and hand feeding?

We are pulling for him!

Hedra2

Post   » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:48 pm

I do not have a scale that I can weigh him on daily but we are doing multiple hand feedings a day with critical care and giving him subcue fluids. I am so worried he won't make it to Wednesday :(. The vet is a 1.5 hr drive away and the most experienced small animal vet is in on Wednesday, so that is when they scheduled his sedation and procedure. He's not lethargic or anything yet, but all he wants to do is hang out in his hay bin

Hedra2

Post   » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:08 am

This is what his tooth looks like now (green on his lower teeth and cheek is critical care, green on his upper tooth is permanent)

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:47 pm

Is the discoloration hard? Can it be scratched off?

Hedra2

Post   » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:42 pm

It is rock hard, they might be able to take it off during sedation but it is too hard to scratch off while he is awake, The gums around it are swollen too.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:33 pm

It looks very rough and coarse. My guess is a surface that is not as smooth is more irritating and more likely to harbor bacteria.

Hedra2

Post   » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:55 pm

Surgery went well....or at least I think it did. Back teeth are thankfully totally fine, his front tooth was broken. I have a really cool x-ray of his tooth. It was cracked all the way up the middle right up to the gums and the whole tooth was dead. Thankfully the roots looked ok. They had to clip his top teeth right to the gums so he's got pretty much no top teeth at the moment. The vet knew a lot about pigs though and she felt that was the best course of action for him and that he would heal quickly. They all loved him and said he was such a lovely patient. He let me syringe feed him critical care when we got home so he does seem to feel better with his broken tooth and overgrown bottom teeth trimmed up. I'll see if I can post the x-rays, they were so neat.

Hedra2

Post   » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:14 am

Not sure how to post the cool x-ray pics without the photobucket banner covering them up

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:16 am

You can email me the earlier picture and the xray picture. I am not fond of their banner either! And going to the site, there are ads galore!

You might need to hand feed him for a while if he has no top teeth. Some tips here also (weigh daily):
www.guinealynx.info/teeth_broken.html

Hedra2

Post   » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:18 am

Without teeth he’s not fighting hand feeding anymore either which makes it easier. He’s such a trooper.

What address Should I mail the pics too?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:16 pm

This will work (it is an image so the address is not harvested by bots):

Hedra2

Post   » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:53 pm

Awesome thanks. I sent his x-rays and his post surgery pic

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:31 pm

Here are the pictures you sent. I left some of them pretty large. I am unsure what we are looking at in the second picture.

Hedra2

Post   » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:26 am

Shoot those are big. I can’t even see them on my phone. I could resize and send again. The second one is his two front teeth. The left tooth (on the right side in the photo) had so much inflammation the gums were swollen down the side tooth so there is s bunch of fuzziness along the side. Then the tooth itself has a crack in it from the bottom to the top.

44 posts