Discoloured chipped tooth

Hedra2

Post   » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:08 pm

We just adopted a 3 year old male guinea pig who seems to be in good health other than the fact that one of his front teeth is chipped and quite discoloured. For now he is eating just fine but I remember having to have teeth for a previous pig clipped after she chipped one as it made it difficult for her to eat. I live in a small town with the nearest guinea pig vet 2 hrs away (and only open M-F) so I thought I would ask to see if anyone has any advice here first since it is not an emergency. Can you trim them yourself at home? Should I be concerned about how misshapen and yellow it is? I have a really good photo of it but I don't know how to attach it or if you can even post pics here.

Hedra2

Post   » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:29 pm

I think I figured out how to post a picture, hope this is ok:

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:19 pm

Would you like me to add your pic to your topic permanently for future readers?

I would just keep an eye on it at this point. Teeth grow quickly and unless there is an underlying issue, should wear correctly. Read every bit of this, especially noting the warning about cutting teeth too short:
www.guinealynx.info/teeth_broken.html

The discoloration may indicate a previous injury, in which case the tooth could even fall out. It is also possible this guinea pig has a peg tooth.

Hedra2

Post   » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:48 am

Thank you so much, greatly appreciated.

Yes that would be great if you wanted to properly add the photo thanks.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:05 pm

Thanks. I replaced your pic above with a crop of the same photo. Do let us know how things go. I hope the tooth stabilizes or at least causes no difficulties eating.

5 posts • Page 1 of 1