Discoloured chipped tooth

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:16 am

Actually, the photos you sent me were much, much larger. I think the board software has some type of ability to resize large pictures but not the ones I crop and resize.

Now that you describe the second one as the top teeth (I imagine this is from above), I can better understand what I am seeing. It looks like a lot is going on with the tooth that is having all these problems.

Does your guinea pig have trouble closing the mouth fully?

I''m going to reorder the pictures I posted so the biggest one is near the slider.

Hedra2

Post   » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:24 am

It didn’t look like he couldn’t close his mouth, and now his top teeth are gone (the healthy one I can see starting to grow again). He’s interested in eating but cannot pick anything up so I’m hand feeding him as much as I can. He’s thin and spends all day hiding but I think he’s tired of me and everything I’m doing to him

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:01 am

I think I posted this before but it is still worth a read. Has tips for feeding a guinea pig with broken teeth:
www.guinealynx.info/teeth_broken.html

Hedra2

Post   » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:44 am

Yes I read through that but I will read again :)

How much should I be syringe feeding him at a time and throughout the day, I can’t tell how much he’s eating on his own but I don’t think it’s a lot as he can’t pick stuff up

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:43 pm

A pig that's eating nothing else needs 100+ cc of Critical Care for every kilogram it weighs, every day. Adjust up or down according to the weight of the pig, down if the pig is eating a significant amount on its own. Feed 6-8 times a day around the clock, and syringe plenty of water or pedialyte along with it and in between the feedings.

Hedra2

Post   » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:14 pm

I’m so happy, I don’t think I need to syringe feed him at all anymore. He was HATING the critical care so I tried him with soaked food pellets (which he rejected before) and he hoovered it up like crazy! He also somehow manages to eat the shredded lettuce I left for him this morning

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:17 pm

Weighing daily will help immeasurably in making sure he is eating enough (glad to hear he's eating the softened pellets).

Hedra2

Post   » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:15 am

I don’t have scales (I did but they are missing) and we are all SUPER sick at the moment with a flu bug but I’ll see what I can find once I can leave the house again.

Hedra2

Post   » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:39 pm

Ok is it weird that his healthy tooth is growing back really nicely but his broken tooth has not even started to grow back yet?

Hedra2

Post   » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:00 pm

He’s also still struggling to eat. He gets the food in his mouth and tries chewing but the food just falls out of his mouth. It takes a huge amount of effort to get small pieces to stay in

rjespicer

Post   » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:21 pm

Not sure about the tooth growing but if he is still having difficulty eating on his own I would go back to syringe feeding him for aw while until he is more able to eat for himself.

Hedra2

Post   » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:04 pm

I have been, went back to syringing critical care as it’s easiest. I also give him subcue fluids every few days and I’ve been spending spend ages chopping up tiny bits of food daily and feeding them to him. Takes him like 3 tries per little price of food so it takes ages but he’s trying.

I’m getting a bit worried as we are headed out of town on Dec 26 and I don’t know what I’m going to do with him while we are gone. I have people i trust to watch and feed them but no one who can deal with eating issues :(