Lice Treatment in the US

Winstonthepig

Post   » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:51 am

Hi, this is my first time posting so hopefully I’m doing it right!
I currently have 4 male guinea pigs all over a year old. One of them is a lethal pig who is blind an deaf. Recently I noticed my one pig Winston has what looks like lice. They are small white yellow specks crawling around on the base of his hair and there are white dots sitting at the base of his hair too (eggs? ).
My issue is that I can not afford vet care for all 4 guinea pigs right now so I was hoping to treat at home. I have two routes of treatment that I’ve heard of and need help determining what’s best.
I know gorgeous guineas has a lice and easy shampoo I can buy. Is this shampoo alone enough of a treatment for lice if it’s paired with cleaning cages and multiple baths?
Next is Ivermectin- I’m a little nervous to try but I’m desperate at this point. I found some on amazon but I wasn’t sure if it’s the right kind. Could someone help me find the right stuff and tell me exactly how to use it/treatment plan for 4 pigs?
(IE- dose calculating, how long to treat/repeat)
I’m nervous on using this on my pigs and them having some kind of adverse reaction but I don’t know what else to do right now. Thank you for any help!

Winstonthepig

Post   » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:52 am

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:12 pm

Sorry your piggies have lice. You'll have to treat them all.

You want either .5% or 1% pour-on or injectable (don't worry, you won't inject it) ivermectin solution, which you can find from a farm-feed store or from Amazon. Durvet makes the .5% stuff, but there are other manufacturers.

You'll also need a scale to weigh your pigs -- $15 or less at places like Target, Walmart, Bed Bath & Beyond, etc. And you'll need a 1 cc syringe without a needle, but be sure it's NOT an insulin syringe. They have different markings, and you'll underdose your pigs.

Treat them once a week for 3-4 weeks, putting the ivermectin on the bald spot behind their ears, folding the ear over, and rubbing it in.

This link has links to general ivermectin information. Down toward the bottom, there are printable pages for the dose for either strength of the ivermectin. https://www.guinealynx.info/ivermectin_topical.html

Good luck, and let us know how you get along.

Winstonthepig

Post   » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:35 pm

Thank you very much for your response!
I found a brand on amazon called “agri-mectin” 1% sterile solution generic injection
Is this the right stuff?

Winstonthepig

Post   » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:10 pm

Also are there any side effects or reactions I need to look out for?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:56 pm

Side effects listed on this page, I believe:
www.guinealynx.info/ivermectin.html

I think the pour-on is somewhat less expensive and can be gotten in small bottles. www.valleyvet.com has some. You want to apply it topically to treat lice. You want the only active ingredient to be ivermectin.

Winstonthepig

Post   » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:24 pm

Thank you ! I was able to purchase the solution i mentioned above off amazon for 30$ which is much cheaper than the 200$ vet bill they wanted me to pay.
I have them on fleece bedding, so how often do I need to change that during this treament?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:21 pm

Just wash it normally.

Erikashae

Post   » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:55 pm

Hi I'm also new to guinea pigs! We purchased our first two males yesterday from a pet store and they both have lice. I am going to purchase the 1% injectsble ivermectin but I'm confused as to how to measure the dose correctly! I'm very scared to overdose my piggies.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:15 pm

Erikashae, did you read that link I posted above, and the two links within it that I referenced? It's about as clear as it can get on how to dose the pigs. Read it and then post whatever specific questions you've got.

Winstonthepig

Post   » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:19 pm

Okay thanks! The ivermectin will be arriving tomorrow. I’m going to weight the pigs tonight and see if I get their doses right so maybe I will post it on here to have someone double check my calculations?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:36 pm

Sure. But there's really no calculation to be done. Just pick the chart with the right strength of ivermectin, weigh the pig, and look up the dose.