Vitamin C Tablets for sick piggy

Bunny

Post   » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:47 am

Hi, For about a month now my guinea pig has been in and out of vet visits for his sinus infection. I'm thinking about giving him a vitamin C tablet but not sure since I can only find 500mg and I'm terrified of accidentally killing him by mistake. So does anyone else has experience giving their sick piggy a vitamin c tablet and how much of a dosage in a syringe? I feel so bad because he is having such a hard time breathing and having to take so many medications but he still eats and is maintaining his weight. On top of that I been giving him poop soup (Crush one healthy poop pellet from the other guinea pigs and syringe feeding him it for probiotics)

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:50 am

You can buy Vita Drops Liquid Vitamin C and syringe him the proper dosage, or sprinkle it on his veggies.

500 mg is WAY too much for a guinea pig. They normally need about 35-50 mg. per day from all sources.

What meds is he on? Has your vet recommended nebulizing a stronger antibiotic so it will get down in the lungs?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:18 am

I was thinking about a nebulizer too. It could help.

This is a method of getting antibiotics into the lungs in a mist. The guinea pig is put into an enclosed container and the drug put into the air the guinea pig breathes.

Look over:
https://www.guinealynx.info/records/viewtopic.php?t=58

Bunny

Post   » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:01 pm

Yeah he's been on a nebulizer a couple of times but for some reason he has been the same. The vet is stumped on ways to get him better but doesn't want his body to shut down with all the medications he is on. He's on bactrim and benadryl. I keep forgetting what kind of antibiotics the vet puts for the nebulizer. I'm probably going to ask next time if I can stay with him while in his treatment because that's how he got sick, he was stressed out that I left for two days and my family messed up my feeding and cleaning schedule so he knew I was gone. He was so depressed too.

piggylover49

Post   » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:05 pm

If you are interested in a vitamin c supplement, you can try the Oxbow Natrual Science Vitamin C Tablet. They are safe for guinea pigs, I have used them for my girls and They LOVE them!

http://www.oxbowanimalhealth.com/our-pr ... -vitamin-c

Bunny

Post   » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:10 am

Oh alright that's good, Just a bit paranoid since I already lost one guinea pig in May out of nowhere so I'm just extremely worried of giving them anything.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:54 pm

Piggylover is right. The Oxbow Natural Science Vit. C is a good product. My Lacey loves them and whistles and paces when she hears the package crinkle. They’re a little flat disk made with hay. That combined with good quality pellets and veggies like green peppers should be plenty of vitamin C.

rjespicer

Post   » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:00 pm

We use the Oxbow tabs as well ( Vitamin C and a few of the others) but only 2 out of our 3 girls will eat them. Nala will sniff them but not eat them. we make sure she gets plenty of green and red peppers though.