Olive's gas problem

Olive

Post   » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:27 pm

Okay. What about the dosage of Meloxicam? I read that the correct dosage is 0.2mg/kg q24h. And there was a discussion on GuineaLynx that dosage is too low. Is 0.2mg/kg q24h the correct dosage? And can I divide the dosage (this, or the correct one) into 2 parts and make it q12h? I feel it'll do better for her?

Olive

Post   » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:51 am

**too late to edit. What should be the time difference between the metoclopmoride, simethicone and meloxicam? And when should I give the probiotic?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:45 am

Probiotics should be given 60-90 minutes after every antibiotic dose. If the pig isn't on antibiotics, I'd give it once a day or once every other day, depending on how the pig does.

I have a 1300 mg pig that's on 1.2 mg of Metacam (another name for Meloxicam) daily for arthritis. That works out to roughly 1 mg per kilogram, which is significantly higher than the dose you mentioned.

I also think dosing twice daily works better, so usually split the dose in half, once in the morning, once in the evening.

As far as I know, there's no problem with giving those meds at the same time.

Olive

Post   » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:14 am

Okay. I'll raise the dosage for meloxicam then. This is the link where the low dosage has been mentioned.

https://www.guinealynx.info/analgesics.html

I know leafy greens are bad for her right now. So I've taken them off her diet. I have taken her off other veggies too. But, she really seems to be missing her tomatoes. Are cucumber, tomatoes and carrots safe for her? Can I feed them in extremely small quantities?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:44 pm

Mine get tomatoes every day. Also cucumber and carrots.

Without reading back, why are leafy greens bad for her?

Olive

Post   » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:52 pm

I've been reading several threads where the vet advised owners who have guinea pigs with gas to take them off any kind of veggie in their diet (especially the leafy ones). So I did the same. But today Olive seemed to be craving them. Moreover, she has a habit of not eating her grass till she eats a little salad. That's why I wanted to continue with her veggies (and leafy greens too if they're safe)?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:06 pm

I'd give them to her. Start with small amounts, increase them gradually, and back off if she has any worsening symptoms.

Olive

Post   » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:58 pm

The thing is that she's eating everything of whatever little bit she's pooping. This makes it very difficult for me to read her symptoms. Apart from that, I have noticed that her eyes aren't watery after I started with the new medicines. So that's a definite plus. I'll begin giving her the veggies in small quantities.

In the meantime, is there anyway I can track the progress of her poop? It's next to impossible for me to see, because, it's back in it's stomach as soon as it's out.

Also, is Cisapride needed along with the Metoclopmoride? Because Cisapride is banned in my country.

Her current medication is -

1. Metoclopmoride (Reglan) 1mg q12h
2. Simethicone (Rantac) 0.3ml q8h
3. Meloxicam (Muvera) 0.5mg q12h
4. Probiotic (Gutwell powder) 2g, twice, with water
5. Anti-flatulence drops (Zymopet) 0.3ml q12h

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:53 pm

My guinea pigs loved tomatoes. I think they should be okay. Very small bits of the cucumber and carrots.

Olive

Post   » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:20 am

Reintroduced them. She has surely missed them. Heard her chirping after days today when the fridge opened. Fingers crossed for her recovery. Can you please answer about Cisapride? Though it's banned, I can try arranging it if it's an absolute must.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:21 am

Without looking it up, I think cisapride and metaclopromide both work on the gut, one on the upper end, the other on the lower end. My guess is that she'd be fine with just one of them.

How would you get the cisapride if it's banned there?

Olive

Post   » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:50 am

I'm pretty sure it sells in the black market. I can try getting it if it's necessary for her.