Seeking advice re: lump on Lucy's shoulder

pigwidgeon

Post   » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:00 am

On the 13th of September, I brought my guinea pig Lucy to the vet for a checkup. Lucy is a year and 10months old, is not spayed, and is otherwise healthy. She lives with Ricky, who is neutered. My vet found a lump on her shoulder about the size of a peanut. I had been giving health checks every week and somehow missed it, but Lucy is a very fluffy girl and maybe I just didn't check that area closely enough. My vet ran some tests on the lump and it took about a week to get the results. The lab did not find any inflammation and I was told spindle cells (sp?) were present, which might indicate a change in the way her skin is growing (these are the notes I jotted down when my vet told me the results). The people at the lab were unable to conclusively rule out a tumor.

My vet said I had two options, a tissue sample or removal of the lump, both of which would involve putting Lucy under anesthesia. My vet recommended removing the lump rather than risking putting Lucy under twice if the tissue sample came back as a tumor. I requested an estimate of the cost of the operation, and the number they gave me was $1,359.59 to $1,699.49 USD. I have had surgery done on other guinea pigs I've owned and this number seems very high, though I could be wrong, which is why I'm here asking for advice. If you guys would like I can upload the treatment plan with personal info redacted.

Does this number seem high to anyone else? Should I try consulting some different exotic vets?

In the meantime, Lucy has exhibited no change in behavior. She is very active and eating well, very squeaky and excited for food and treats. She gets along as well with Ricky as ever. I check the lump every day and it does not seem to be growing.

If anyone has any advice for me, it would be much appreciated! Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:32 am

That does sound high to me. But the only experience I have was perhaps $200 for the removal of a trichofolliculoma perhaps 13 years ago.
https://www.guinealynx.info/trichofolliculoma.html

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:28 am

Ridiculously high. I'd at least get a second opinion, but get a copy of her records from the first vet and take them with you.

JJGiebz
Make Good Choices

Post   » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:01 am

Agree on the second opinion. I had a spindle cell tumor removed from the same spot on a 5 yr old boar, about the same size, three years ago and the surgery was around 7 or 800 I think.

pigwidgeon

Post   » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:43 pm

Hey everyone, I just wanted to thank you all for your replies! I had Lucy's surgery done with a different vet, one I had been to before and who was very qualified and who I trusted, and it cost me a bit over $800. She came through the surgery and it was a little scary for the first 24 hours or so, but she is now eating on her own and seems much more active especially since i put her back with Ricky. I am monitoring them both carefully.

A quick question: while Lucy was in her recovery cage, she must have peed into her cuddle cup while lying in it and how her butt is filthy and covered in pee. I wiped it with a damp washcloth but did not want to subject her to anything more stressful. Will it harm her to just use a damp washcloth until she's recovered enough to wash her butt? Thanks.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:32 pm

I think that would work fine if the room is warm enough that she will not be chilled. I would also try to blot it dry to minimize any chilling.

pigwidgeon

Post   » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:35 am

Thanks Lynx! I live in Hawaii so suffice to say it's always warm in here, lol. I actually am still using A/C in October though I have used it less after Lucy's surgery bc I didn't want her to get too cold. She's back with Ricky now and is pretty much back to her old self. She's eating and drinking on her own and gets very excited for treats. Still plan on feeding her critical care and monitoring closely, though I no longer have to force feed. She eats it out of a spoon. Should I still give Pedialyte?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:41 pm

It is up to you if you want to give pedialyte. If she is eating well (a variety of her normal food), she will probably be fine.

pigwidgeon

Post   » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:30 am

Lucy has as of late had mobility issues in her left back leg. She drags her leg sometimes when she moves around and can no longer sit up and groom like she used to. She's able to run and walk normally when she wants to but she prefers to sit or to favor that leg. As a result she gets a dirty butt a lot, so I wash her butt. I noticed her squealing when I dried the back left leg area with a towel. We brought her to the vet today and got x-rays. Vet is uncertain exactly what's causing the problem, just that it is not arthritis. The left leg muscle is atrophied and the joint has limited motion. We should not get a side view in the x-ray because the leg could not splay out like her good leg. Vet prescribed metacam and will wait and see if she improves, and if not will consider blood work.

Otherwise Lucy seems fine and is in good spirits, with normal poop and pee and a healthy appetite. I am so bewildered by her leg issue. I doubt it's vitamin C deficiency because she gets fresh veggies every day and a 1CC syringe of childlife vitamin C. I was curious if any of you have seen anything like this and what you did about it.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:09 am

We had a male pig awhile back with something similar, but it was both back legs. We never determined the cause, and he did learn to compensate by dragging himself around---although he tended not to move around very much.

We ended up moving him to a smaller cage where he could reach everything more easily. Keeping him clean was the biggest challenge.

I hope the Metacam helps, but if there is already muscle atrophy, she may never fully regain use of the leg.

It cannot be used while she's on Metacam, but Prednisone might be worth a try if there is no improvement in a few days.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:28 am

Sorry to hear she is having problems with one of her back legs. I wonder if massage would help (it could stimulate the muscles). You might be able to pinpoint the problem area that way and have a second look at the xrays.

pigwidgeon

Post   » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:20 pm

For the past 3 weeks I've noticed Lucy having an issue with her right eye. Her eyes are normally round and beady but the right eye seemed slightly more sunken and squinty. when I first noticed it, I took her to the vet, who did not see any abrasions on the eye and otherwise found Lucy was healthy. The vet did notice the bad eye is more teary than the good one. The vet suggested applying terramycin to the eye since I already had some. Immediately after that vet appointment we went into quarantine (I'm in Hawaii) so I've been reluctant to take her back to the vet and have been treating with terramycin, but the eye does not seem to be improving. Lucy's behavior seems unaffected but I know guinea pigs are really good at hiding symptoms. I took a picture of her bad eye and good eye. Click the thumbnail for a bigger version.

Bad eye

Good eye

If anyone has any advice, it is much appreciated!