Unsure of what happened to my pig

ChipChip

Post   » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:38 am

Long post! Please read for context!!

I recently adopted a young male from my husband's aunt. She purchased two guinea pigs for her grandkids in July from a Petsmart, but the grandson was terrified of animals. On a recent visit, she told me that his guinea pig was listed for sale on Craigslist... And I couldn't let him go to a stranger.

While I never had a guinea pig before, I did a lot of research. Most of it was on this forum, so thank you. I was building him a c&c cage (he had been kept in a petsmart cage), and we were looking for another pig to be his companion. I was trying to slowly introduce him to veggies, and was hand feeding to build his weight up because he was extremely small. I assumed he was fairly normal for a guinea pig in a new home.

Fast forward a few days (yesterday), and he suddenly got diarrhea and droped even more weight. I had to go out of town for a meeting, and today I got a call from my husband saying Chip had passed. He then calls his aunt who still had her granddaughter's guinea pig (who was kept separately from mine), only to find out that it was having the exact same symptoms. Neither pigs are/were eating, only drinking.

She went to the petsmart she purchased them from and they told her guinea pigs can get a disease similar to Parvo in dogs.
My questions are, what could this disease be? I know it's not actually Parvo... I'm just looking for answers or even a place to begin my research.
What disinfecting should I do? Should I just throw away his hide and beds?
Now that chip has passed and my heart has been fully opened to guinea pigs, we're looking to adopt a bonded pair from the shelter... and I don't want to risk their health. I'm just wanting to cover all my bases and do this right.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:09 pm

Possibly bordatella. It's common dogs, but as far as I know, guinea pigs can't be vaccinated for it.

You can wash anything washable in hot water and bleach, and disinfect the cage with a bleach solution. Just rinse everything very well.

I'm very sorry you lost him. Good luck on finding a pair from a shelter or rescue.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in 2018

Post   » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:52 pm

I'm very sorry for your loss of Chip.

3 posts • Page 1 of 1