Unsure of what happened to my pig

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:30 pm

The washer is seated tight and in good shape. I took it out and cleaned it, then put it back and it’s snug. I had a different Kaytee bottle that was great but I dropped it on a tile floor and the neck cracked. This one is a little different design. The best bottle I had was aLiving World from Petsmart. I managed to damage that one and they don’t have that kind anymore.

Lisa12

Post   » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:58 am

We have some more serious problems this time we re 5years, 3 months old:).

I notice eye discharge recently more on left eye..i am not very impressed. The eye look okay and there is not a lot of it..its like in the morning its okay and that in the noon i see it.
HE is infected with bordetella since september 2018, but i think it doesnt have a lot to do with it, cause its only in one eye.
He s having occasional nebuliser treatment with Gentamcyn other wise he is on top form.
I hope he is not getting blind or this is not from nebuliser.. i read it can hurt the eyes with long term use..
And do they use tobramcyn for eyes or not for pigs?

I ll send you a photo and take him to vet if this will continue.. but for now, when there is little of it, can i clean it with chamomile tea...?
I wouldnt like to cause any damage.
If anybody knows and its bothered to answer we will be grateful!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:49 pm

Can you post a picture? It could be that the drainage duct on that eye is stopped up and that you're seeing a backup of cleaning fluid.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:27 pm

Just what I initially was thinking (drainage duct on the eye stopped up). You could try warm wet compresses on the eye to see if it would help.
A tiny bit of massage could be done if the eye otherwise looks fine and there is no redness (possible injury or something stuck under the lid).

Lisa12

Post   » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:32 pm

Thanks,eye was okay than and stillis so i didnt send photo if we will have anymore problems, we will send Lynx photo... We can also visit Ringos vet who declared him a legend:).She s the best for eye problems and Ringo had glaucoma for last year and ahalf and she said at his age she wont operate him as it was too risky so she gave alternative treatmentwith three types of drops. She was always there for us and i wont ever forget it+i am sure if his little brother from another mother will have eye problems she will help-she always gave us 100% and had solution for us:)Always-but shes dog vet.

However lately we had some problems Irie was sneezing a lot and i am cleaning the dust,shaking the hay...he has chronic stuffed nose.Yesterdayat night he was making some wierd sounds from his lungs(he also has asthma butit was different).But as he is also permanently infected all thoose sounds and stuff -i think only i sort of know why is he doingwhat.

Couple of days ago we tried NaCl inhlations just to make his nose not stuffed, but it didnt help nothing, i ll put him on Gentamcyn inhalations but we really really try to use it as little as possible. For now we wont be visiting vets. Irie was last time at vets on31.7.2020for sucessfully removed skin formation, cause i dont wanna stress him and we dont have regular vet now..so we will go when we really must.

I had to write somewhere hope you likereading our update.His weight is stable924gand he reached 5 and a half(when ex vet declaredhe ll probably die of sepsis we could only dream about that age,but we did and we are still here!!) and thanks to you all too..
And we re..we re very happy for this even when having problems(today was horrible-we didnt sleep cause irie was having problems,my mentor said my diploma is still notgood enough cause there are too many quotesand i went to be covid tested with dad cause we re opening the store again-and there were so many people you have to wait more than an hour so we went hometwice..oh, well...) So,here s the update and i hope Irie will getbetter like he did always before..

Lisa12

Post   » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:41 pm

Oh and we ordered two most quality two types of hay today..so Irie will be happy. You know every time troubles hit us we hit back twice as hard:)

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:35 pm

I hope Irie improves as well and doesn't have something serious. Do you have an exotic vet that you can go to? I know some of the vets you had weren't so good, but hopefully you have someone for serious illnesses.

I hope you stay safe and your dad as well.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:16 pm

I hope you and your dad stay safe too.

Can you tell me more about how you do NaCl inhalations? It is good to hear his weight is stable.

Lisa12

Post   » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:15 am

Thanks for the good wishes!

I think its because of the bordetella infections..symptomsare just more visible sometimes,... We already have Gentamicyn at home, thats why we dont have to go to vets. We have 3-4choices for exotic vets, yes(including one who operated him,far away, but really good). He is very lively. Of all my pigs i said for Irie cause he is so hyper active, when he wont be good, that would be very clear.

Sorry, Lynx I meant Saline solution inhalations..(0,9%NaCl?).

Lisa12

Post   » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:16 am

*bordetella bronhiseptica infection

Lisa12

Post   » Sun May 30, 2021 7:15 am

Hello!
He stop sneezing than and we were really happy...

We have another i hope just little problem...
About month and half ago.. he developed spot without hair on his back...Heis very long haired, so..you dont see it if you dont remove the hair.

At first to me it looked like he kind of sat in his own urine or poppings..so i tried to wash the hair(fur) and was hoping hair will grow back..well, it didnt ..how long does it take for hair to grow back? I tought its four weeks...

If anybody has any idea what that would be please comment..:)..we re planning on sending Lynx photo if it wontget any better but next week, cause my phone doesnt make quality photos and i need my sisters so..we will send photo in the future if thats alright...

We are also planning on visiting a vet if it wont go away, for me it doesnt look like when Ringo had demodexor something but it doesnt go worse and it doesnt go back to normal,... andmy cat Bob also had problems once with scabies(he was indoor and outside so he got it from other cat) i think its called (parazites)and it doesnt look like that, too..

Otherwise Iries s lively, moving normal, he runs around a lot, he doest loose weight and he doesnt look orbehave his age...Ringo was like that for a long time..if Irie is like him when he will reach he ll still look 2..but we will see...He s turning six in october..so..hope we havesome more years together..

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun May 30, 2021 8:50 am

Is the hair loss located where the grease gland would be? Is the skin nice and healthy looking? I would mainly be concerned if you see scratching or pulling hair out or if there is an obvious skin problem. If you have guinea pigs that have had mites, preventive treatment might be a good idea.