Unsure of what happened to my pig

Lisa12

Post   » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:16 am

And we re signing..
no you re not doing to bad no not bad at all you are just trying to walk before you can crawl..

Hope we ll learn to walk, crawl, live, fight and everything..and god Will be on our side..

Lisa12

Post   » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:49 am

Bpatters..professional advice please please please
Irie is responding slowly on gentamicyn.. he had inhalations for 14 days..
I called the vet but couldnt get him on the phone whole day..oh well..however.. i got someone else..and she was very kind and said..Irie should take some more..and than probably.. Will take this more times if he s responding..
Now.. I ve read here http://ratguide.com/meds/antimicrobial_ ... ulfate.php
that if its nebulized does not cause kidney or oto toxicity..
Do you know something about it?

Whole thing is a bit too much for me... and anyway..i dont wanna cause him any damage..
I was about to ask vet what to do.. so..i see you are very experienced in nebulisation i would be very grateful for your oppinion, you know..
Our dossage is 0,3ml per day(nebulised)with destilated water or whatever its called. He aint taking nothing else, He s active and eats a lot. HE started gaining weight again.He was stable before.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:14 am

I'd give him more. He's responding to it, he's had a long-term infection that may take extra treatments to resolve, why not give it to him?

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:38 am

I agree. We got a pig that was very sick with pneumonia to recover and I think the main thing that helped was the nebulizer treatments.

Here is a summary of Lucy's treatment:

https://www.guinealynx.info/records/viewtopic.php?t=214

You may also want to look over this thread about nebulizer experiences:

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... =nebulizer

Lisa12

Post   » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:39 pm

Ok. Thank you both very much for your answers i appriciate it!!!:)
Interesting she had problems for two years before..i am learning new things about pigs every day… Thats why i would like him to recover, cause otherwise is going on still and still and you never know what Will turn out from that.. It is quite complicated cause he tolerate oral antibiotics so bad.

I hope i can speak to his vet and get more stuff tomorrow..i have quite a drive to do,alone, but i ll surivive..:) Hope Irie can stay at home..
:

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:25 pm

Lucy was a rescue from a horder & was living in very bad conditions when she was a baby and maybe that's where she picked up the cough. She lived to 5 years old. I think she did pretty well & was happy to give her a good home. We are also very lucky to have great guinea pig vets nearby.

It took Lucy several weeks to slowly recover. Good luck to you and Irie.

rjespicer

Post   » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:01 pm

Back from my travels and catching up. Will keep my fingers crossed for you and Irie.

Was thinking of him while I was in Thailand as I saw a sticker for a bar on Koh Lanta called Irie.

Lisa12

Post   » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:18 pm

5 years is indeed damn great, for me:) I am happy for Lucy to live up to such an age.. Only one of my pigs lived more than 5 (i have 4, 1 still) and it wasnt for the lack of trying. All mine were adopted, too..

Thank you, Bookfan..:)

rjespicer thats really nice of you..hope you had great vaccation..and thank you very much, too.

We got gentamcyn for another 14 days. Vet didnt say when it or it Will be completely okay.. we Will see and hope for the best. HE said thats not a problem for kidneys as its not absorbed in it or something like that.. over worried pig mum with lack of vets knowledge..:)

Lisa12

Post   » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:15 am

Here we go, again. I tought I Will never write to you again, but I Will, cause you have all been so kind and we need some support.

Irie wasnt able to completely recover. He was way better after 14 days, but after additional 21 days, he just stayed with little syptoms but very active.
Than his vet said to put him off it. I was so afraid I wont even tell you, but we did. HE somehow made it..he was good first week, bit worse second week.. than yesterday vet said by the phone that he wouldnt put it on it, if he doesnt have severe issues and is feeling bad or his weight it dropping and his weight is the highest ever(i didnt tell him that, but why should i-his weight is 890g.)

I was little pissed, but of course what can I say I mean. I am not a doctor and i know it, but its awfully stresful for me, but its Irie that is important. And he s the only doctor that knows him very well..and in our countrey its awful with doctors for exotic animals. Awful. Only this three who Works were Irie is going really knows their stuff, but they decide what they decide..of course I ask and all that, but still..its a little bit wierd, never mind.

So, if I got it correctly, if he Will releapse we Will put him on Gentamcyn again..he already stated before if he ll feeling bad he can get oral or injections as well.. So he ll be on and off antibiotics for life. Which is so not the best situation. Luckily he s been at vets last time on 28.12.2018.
I was there alone once, after that..

Irie is Quite lively..he s not crazy as usual, sadly..he s Quite crazy for adult boar. Anyway, do you have any suggestions..?
And I heard Echinacea purpurea is very good for this bacteria and on going infections.. can he inhale it, please, if anybody knows?
I heard pigs can take it oraly, so I assume he can inhale it. He inhaled chamomile and it helps with his stuffed nose-i dont think that alone Will kill the bacteria, but it can help him function..and if Echinacea purpurea helps when his not on antibiotic.

I read, Bookfan, when you said your pig had chronic cough.. this is chronic now, too..even if diagnosed. ITs been going on 6 months. And i dont like the fact we couldnt clear this up, cause he s always in danger.. I have no plans on going even on holidays-no winter, no summer. I just cant, beside Ringo s latest diagnose is glaucomma. He luckily wont need operation but he ll be on medications for life.

I am gonna die, I swear.. thoose two lads are gonna kill me.. I am sorry for long post..any advices. Even what food is like high in vitamins etc is recommended
Blessings&love
L&I&R

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:50 am

I am sorry you are continuing to have problems. I do not think the herbs will help much. Remember that Gentamcyn is ONLY given as a nebulized drug. It cannot be given orally or by injection (it is one of the dangerous medications to the digestive system). If the nebulized Gentamcyn is helping, I would continue it.

Lisa12

Post   » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:27 pm

Thanks for your sympathy…
I know what you mean..but Ringo s vet, Iries doctor(not vet, but our friend who is doctor for humans for traditional and classical medicine) and my other friend who is pharamcist all said stuff him with everything you can find(herbs, vegetables) and I was like upset its not working..they were like no, you have to fight, maybe he can eliminate this in long run, you dont know.. just do it. So, I ll do it. They all care for Irie, so much, too.
I would even put him on acupuncture, so that you stimulate body to heal itself, but i am little worried he is pig..so we didnt do that. Not yet anyway

What I would really like to know do you feed Echinacea purpurea to your pigs..i dont wanna give him something toxic...please, if anybody knows???
PLEASE.:)

Thanks for that, too..If he ll get injections it Will be bactrim or baytril..i think..
As for Gentamicyn I wouldnt wait for too long, too..but bacteria can grew resistant with prolonged use.. and if vet the only one I know that is really good said to wait.. we ll have to wait a little bit..but it wont be too long..specially if things Will go worse…I think he tought like you once wrote few weeks on it, few weeks of it...but we wil have to handle the off it, stages, damn it.

Thanks again.. ITs insane, but than.. I would rather go myself than Irie so he s got friend who would die for him, for sure:) His vet didnt really take me that seriously once and i ve just say listen..i care for that pig sooooo much, do you understand.. Irie just drives me crazy, but sb must, right:)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:58 pm

I wish guinea pigs always lived long, healthy lives. They can seem so fragile when they are ill.

I don't have any answers for you on the safety of the herbs. You may find some information online. Be sure to evaluate the source.