What's under my piggy's eye?

BigMoufPosy

Post   » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:24 pm

Hi all!

I have two female guinea pigs, adolescent - Buffet, a bigger female, and Snack, the smaller one. We had to separate them when they first started living together, but have been together without incident since then.

Today, my girlfriend saw something under Snack's eye - it looks like there's a little bit of fur missing there, and some kind of small hole. I've attached pictures here. I'm not sure what to think, as we're both still beginners at taking care of guinea pigs, but any advice is appreciated!

What does this look like to you guys? Is this a bite mark? Fungal infection, or mites? Snack seems to be doing okay - eating, running around. She doesn't scratch at the site at all, from what I've observed.

Thanks in advance!

https://imgur.com/a/CwjDuW1

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:58 pm

I am unsure from the pictures. A closeup would help. It looks from what little I can see like a bite or perhaps fungus.

If there is a hole, there may have been an infection present. Rinse it with warm clean sterile saline solution. You can also flush with a curved tip syringe if you can find one (dentists often have them):

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:23 pm

The picture needs to be a close-up, but from a distance, it looks like a bite wound.

BigMoufPosy

Post   » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:29 pm

Thanks for the input! I managed to get much better photos.

https://imgur.com/a/kw5tD8O

Still not sure what it looks like.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:04 pm

Does it look like a hole to you?

If so, flush it as Lynx suggested. It will be very important for it to heal from the inside out, or else an abscess may form. And if you notice any signs of infection, get to an exotic vet ASAP.

BigMoufPosy

Post   » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:27 pm

Not quite a hole, this is what it looks like today: https://i.imgur.com/XiP3l9l.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/a234fXM.jpg

I'm covering her eye just in case the flash makes her uncomfortable. I can't seem to get any saline around here so I'm using clean warm water to clean it a bit, making sure to wipe and dry off the excess. Definitely blood, as some came off on the qtip that I was gently cleaning with.

Any thoughts? Looks like she may have been scratching it

Thanks for the input so far everyone! Much appreciated.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:51 pm

If she's scratching it, it either itches or hurts. I'd get her to a vet.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:52 pm

That is much clearer. I took a crop of them to add to your topic. Let me know if that is okay. I would continue with what you are doing and watch to see if it swells, gets tender or infected looking - in which case the infection may be deeper. It does look like just above and to the left, the skin is raised.

BigMoufPosy

Post   » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:43 am

Update: Snack's healing nicely! Looks like it was a cut of some sort to begin with, and after cleaning it and leaving it alone, it's doing a lot better.

However...maybe we're paranoid but Snack's other side is looking a little funky. We can't remember if it's always been like this but we noticed there's a dark outline around her eye, like eyeliner where there's just no fur. It seems to be more evident compared to the other side, if you compare to the pictures I've uploaded.

Does that look normal? Should there be more fur there?

Thanks in advance!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:48 am

A little hard to see. Unsure what to compare it to. Keep an eye on the skin to see if it changes or gets flaky.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:58 am

Could be the beginnings of a fungal infection -- they often start around the eye. Unfortunately, you'll have to see a vet for medicine, because there's no OTC antifungal that's safe in the eyes.

BigMoufPosy

Post   » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:35 pm

Thank you both for the input - I'll keep monitoring and will go to the vet if it looks worse!

BigMoufPosy

Post   » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:32 pm

So, I thought it was healing because it wasn't all bloody anymore, but this is looking like a fungal infection. I'm not sure if the left side of her nose and under her mouth are just discoloration or fungal as well? There's a spot on the right side of her mouth too, can kind of see it in the pics.

What do you guys think? I took tomorrow morning off work so I'll be taking her to the vet.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:36 pm

Hard to know for sure. Certainly could be fungal. I'm glad you are having it checked out by a vet.

14 posts • Page 1 of 1