Guinea pig with chronic symptoms; not sure what to do anymore

qbtol11

Post   » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:16 pm

Hi everyone, I could really use some insight into this. Ive been dealing with medical issues with my senior pig for a long time now and Im just super confused. Im going to go into detail of his medical history now.

Around mid-April, close to May he started coughing and making strange noises. I took him to the vet and he was diagnosed with a URI. We treated him with Baytril for about a week, and supplemented him with Benebac probiotic gel. He seemed to recover and was fine.

Jump to late July, and he got seriously sick again. He stopped eating, drinking, peeing, and pooping. What he did poop was just little tiny flakes, and was even having diarrhea at one point. I started force feeding him with Oxbow's critical care mixed with pedialyte. When I took him back to the vet and she diagnosed URI again because he was coughing and sounding raspy, along with all the other symptoms I listed before. We treated him again with Baytril and Benebac but no improvement was shown. I brought him back to the vet and she switched his medications to Bactrim and a NSAID for pain. He still did not improve. I brought him back thinking that I was going to have to put him to sleep that day. Instead, the vet decided to keep him overnight for observation, and did multiple tests (blood and x-rays) and treated him with steroids and fluids.

After this, I got to take him home as he started to show improvement. The vet couldn't find anything wrong with him after all these tests, and just concluded that since he is a senior pig, he was showing signs of pain and old age. She sent me home with a small dose of narcotics and a stereoid and he did a total 180 and began acting like his old self.

Now, In late September I've noticed him doing a cough sometimes, and his voice seems like it might be a little hoarse. He is still eating and acting completely normal, except for the occasional cough or voice change. Im not sure what to do anymore because it seems like no matter what he just keeps showing more and more symptoms; I don't even know what he's sick with anymore.

Any advice would be appreciated. I apologize if this is a bit messy, I'm just very stressed about this whole situation.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:39 pm

At his age, he could have heart issues. Was an xray ever done?
www.guinealynx.info/heart.html

I take it he got a thorough exam, teeth examined etc.

lisam

Post   » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:39 pm

How old is he?

It's been a couple of months since his last vet visit?

qbtol11

Post   » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:21 am

Hes 5 and a half years old. The vet did an x-ray and didn't find anything; his last vet visit was August 4th.

lisam

Post   » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:55 pm

I guess I've had so many pigs through the rescue, and so many of my own live to be over 8 years, that I don't consider 5 1/2 to be that old. Although it's certainly dependent on the individual pig. I'm assuming there were no obvious signs of arthritis on the X-ray, but if the vet thinks he is in pain, perhaps some type of pain medication. What was the narcotic given at his last visit?

5 posts • Page 1 of 1