Chronic bronchitis and long term antibiotics

Clydon

Post   » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:49 pm

I’m new to owning a guinea pig and I am looking for
Advice regarding long term URI.
I adopted a 12 month male guinea pig in May. In June he had a URI and given baytril for 2 weeks and he was syringe fed with no improvement. Noisy breathing, cough poor appetite and lethargy. He was given a further 2 weeks of baytril with no improvement so sulfatrim was added in and meta cam and he started to improve. His breathing remained noisy and laboured but he was a little bit more active and eating minimally so syringe feeding continued.

After being on treatment for 6 weeks there was only slight improvement so he was x rayed which showed 1 of his lungs was completely white and he was diagnosed with pneumonia and sulfatrim continued along with syringe feeds. He slowly improved and saw the vet weekly and was kept on antibiotics and syringe feeds till his weight was back up to 800g. Syringe feeding was stopped for 2 weeks before deciding to stop sulfatrim. At this time he was a happy guinea pig back to normal and eating well squeaking loudly.

A week later he stopped eating and started coughing and was back at the vets and sulfatrim restarted. He has again recovered but been back on sulfatrim for 6 weeks. He is is normal happy self again and weight is 940g but vet thinks he has a chronic bronchitis but isn’t sure what to do next ?

I am concerned he has been on sulfatrim for 3 months now and is well but he develops respiratory symptoms within days of it stopping- does anyone have any suggestions for this please? Vet suggested a nebuliser but didn’t know what medication to use or suggested long term antibiotics basically forever?????

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:50 pm

My vet uses gentamycin and a steroid in the nebulizer.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:22 pm

Has he had an xray? No idea if heart might be an issue but you might want to read over www.guinealynx.info/heart.html

Clydon

Post   » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:52 am

Hi he’s had X-rays and heart is fine

PattiZee

Post   » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:51 pm

You could get saline from medical supply store and nebulize that...just put it by his nose and let him breath it for 10 minutes. If he lets you do that. It has helped mine before.

PattiZee

Post   » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:56 pm

An anti inflammation medicine my help too. Ask your vet if liquid children's (not infants) advil would be okay.