Both front teeth were lost. Do i have to worry about back teeth overgrowing?

_gandour_

Post   » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:14 pm

Hello everyone,

While Leitao was with a peace of carrot in his mouth, Chicao grabbed that peace and pulled with such strenght that broke both of Leitao's front teeth. Ive read that their teeth grows back fast, but should i be worried that the back teeth may overgrow in ths period?

Side question: Does your guinea pig have this behaviour of pulling food away from you or your other gps? Chico has some incredible strenght, if im not putting an insane amount of effort to hold whathever im holding, its gonna get stolen.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:19 pm

Couple of things here...

His teeth aren't likely to have broken from pulling a carrot unless there was another problem -- prior injury, or lack of enough calcium to make sure the teeth were strong enough. I'd be investigating to see what that issue is.

Second, you may need to hand-feed him, because he may not be able to pick up food. If so, it will help to cut food in long slivers and push them into his mouth -- once back to his molars, he should be able to manage it ok. You may even have to do his hay that way.

Did he break both top teeth, or both bottom teeth, or one each?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:19 pm

Ditto bpatters.
Chicao grabbed that peace and pulled with such strenght that broke both of Leitao's front teeth
Sorry this happened! Do you mean both upper incisors or both lower incisors or all four incisors?

The teeth will grow back quickly. You want to weigh daily right now and make sure he is getting enough to eat. If he is eating well enough, he should still be able to grind down the back molars. Tips here

Read www.guinealynx.info/teeth_broken.html and www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html

_gandour_

Post   » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:56 pm

hey guys, thanks for the answer, i mean both upper incisors, sorry for the bad explaining.

I know it seems crazy to supose it was because of Chico, but the first time i noticed he could not eat right was after that scene, it was followed by a huge scream, but sure, i will investigate other causes.

Im handfeeding him pallets, hay and vegetables, he seems to be doing ok and not loosing weight. gonna wait till he can eat again.

4 posts • Page 1 of 1