Are infrared bulbs OK for heating?

daj

Post   » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:06 pm

This is my first post. Please forgive if this is the wrong category to post to, or perhaps the subject is covered elsewhere? I am looking for advice on heating solutions, as it's starting to get cold, and this will be my first winter. I bought heat lamps with infrared bulbs, but now I am concerned that prolonged exposure to the light maybe maybe harmful to the skin or eyes of my hairless pigs.

I need a heat source I can feel comfortable leaving on while I am at work, and lamps fit this bill better than most space heaters, but again, I don't know anything about the health effects. I know lamps are used for small animals, and my vet said they should be OK. Based on the lights effects on my own eyes, I am not so sure.

Forced hot air dries out their skin, and oil filled radiators seem like a good option, but they are not directional, more for heating a whole room. I need to be economical and contain the warmth just where the pigs need it, which heat lamps would be great for. Does anyone have experience with lamps? I would appreciate any thoughts on heating solutions or referrals to posted info on such.
Thanks,
David

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:35 pm

The only thing I know about the use of lamps is that one person I know of had a lamp explode, but I don't know how common an occurrence that is. Would something like an terrarium heater work, such as they use for snakes?

How cold do you expect it to get where the pigs are?

daj

Post   » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:56 pm

Wow! I think you solved my problem! I never knew there were non light emitting bulbs! I just Googled the terrarium heater bulb. That is exactly what I need, and I just ordered them on Amazon. THANKS SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:26 am

Well, that was an accident. I was thinking about a flat heater that went under the cage so the pigs couldn't chew the wires. But if the pigs are warm, that's the important thing!

daj

Post   » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:29 pm

Well that's ironic, but fortunately it pointed me to something that seems to be the answer to my dilemma. I wish there was some advice someone could offer on the infrared bulbs, but I will error on the side of health and safety for the pigs. Thanks again for the response!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:01 pm

Check all the google reviews on the bulb you chose. Look at the negative reviews first and look for bulbs that failed or exploded (what, I am sure, you would want to avoid).

TurianLannister

Post   » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:27 am

You could also ask for recommendations on one of the reptile forums, reptileforums.co.uk has a habitat and equipment subforum - https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/ ... -supplies/

daj

Post   » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:30 pm

Will do. Thanks for the recommendations!