Very deep facial abscess. Need advice.

Sunnysuni

Post   » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:51 pm

Oh okay, I've stopped using it. She said the abscess goes all the way into her mouth, so it is very deep. I now use a cotton pad with diluted betadine just to wipe the outside.

Could you possibly give me any advice on removing the scab? I'm using warm water to try and soften it, but it seems to be very stubborn and hard. It looks to be forming vertically on one side of the hole.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:06 pm

Do you have a curved tip syringe? Have you been flushing with warm sterile saline solution using a curved tip syringe??

If your guinea pig is cooperative and does not jerk around, perhaps a carefully used tweezers can remove small bits of it.

Sunnysuni

Post   » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:24 pm

I sure do and yes I have been. I suspect it is the honey from Friday but I could be wrong.

She shakes her head when I try to get the tweezers near it. I will just continue to warm compress and flush it and see how it goes. Thank you for your help.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:23 am

You could also try picking at it with your fingernail. Try to work the curved tip around the scab.

Clint The Cuy

Post   » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:00 am

Is the source of the abscess gone? Is it a tooth root abscess? Or was the fractured tooth extracted? Bactrim is a pretty tame antibiotic for an extensive abscess, but worth a try for the sake of antibiotic intolerance risk.

Mānuka honey is typical for surface wounds as bpatters mentioned and it is typically medical grade from a pharmacy. A lot of the Mānuka found in stores has been tested and was fraudulent. Due to the increasing trend for medical use and lack of quality control, we don’t know what we are buying.

Sunnysuni

Post   » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:20 am

No, the vet said the source was a tooth root abscess as a result of a broken molar. Could not be removed due to the location of the tooth (she said her eye would have to be removed in order to reach back that far, and we are both extremely reluctant to do that at this stage)

Ah okay. The honey I bought was from a pharmacy but I no longer use it. The scab has come loose but is mixed in (tangled in) the sutures. However, it is not attached to the skin anymore (woot) so I will attempt to soften it enough to remove it completely.

She is doing very well and eating normally.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:04 am

Good news! I hope she continues healing.

Sunnysuni

Post   » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:13 pm

Hi guys. I just wanted to ask if anyone knows how long it usually takes for a guinea pig to recover from oral thrush? I took Fudge to the vet 7/1/19 and she informed me Fudge has oral thrush. I have been using Nilstat oral liquid since then, 1ml four times a day. She is on to her second bottle. However, she is still not really eating on her own, only picking at food. I feed her critical care every 2 hours.

The vet told me one of her molars is completely gone. It broke off but since her last vet visit for the abscess, it has shattered. I noticed something was wrong when Fudge would eat, it was like she would gag and try to get her little front paw in her mouth to try to get the food out. So because she was not grinding the food properly, she got thrush.

I can tell she is not happy, and she wants to eat but can't.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:12 pm

I encourage you to do a search of the forums. This is one post I put up that may be helpful to you:
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... 3#p2290743

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:49 pm

I'd want another opinion from another vet, preferably one with rodent dental experience.

Sunnysuni

Post   » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:13 am

Hi everyone. Fudge was put to rest on the 18/1/19. She was just not able to eat on her own, and developed a heart condition and was struggling to breathe. It was one of the most difficult decisions I've had to make.

I just wanted to thank everyone for their help throughout the months. May you all have a wonderful new year.

TeddyGram
Supporter

Post   » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:14 am

My heart is with you. I am so sorry for you and Fudge.