Vet says piggy will only breath at 30% capacity for rest of life

Luckii

Post   » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:41 pm

So around 5 months ago my wife and I got a new piggy to add to the herd from a pet store (bad idea I know) because we were there for dog stuff and saw her and we knew she was sick. We took her to a vet and the vet said she had a lot of fluid in her lungs from a really bad URI. She got antibiotics and had the fluid worked out of her lungs and had a few follow ups. After the last follow up and a lot of meds and special syringe-fed food, the vet said they've done all they can do and she will either make it or won't. She made it a couple weeks and we took her for another follow-up and the vet said she was very strong to make it through the recovery, but will probably only breathe at about 30% capacity of her lungs, due to the fluid damaging them, for the rest of her life. She eats a lot now and seems happy, and had some stunted growth, but she still breathes really hard and you can tell she's REALLY trying. Is she miserable? What should we do?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:23 pm

I'd want a second opinion from a very good exotic vet. That kind of lung damage is unusual in a very young pig, and I'd want someone else to weigh in on it.

Have they tried a bronchodilator? Nebulizing antibiotics to make sure all the infection is gone?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:43 pm

There can be scaring of the lungs. I guess I'd want to make sure there was no fluid in the lungs too. Ditto bpatters on second opinion and nebulizing.

Luckii

Post   » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:00 pm

Appreciate it guys. I'll talk to the wife about getting a second opinion.

Luckii

Post   » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:20 pm

Here's an update in case you guys are curious. We called a second vet and set up an appointment, and this morning she passed away. We buried her with plenty of parsley and hay. I guess we weren't fast enough, my wife keeps blaming herself and I feel bad.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:50 pm

I'm very sorry you lost her.

Erinspigs

Post   » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:32 am

No one is to blame, she was very sick. You gave her a loving home for 5 months. Something she probably never would have had if not for you. She was cared for and loved, she felt that love. That's 's no small thing. You did good, I'm sorry you lost her.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:48 am

Dang! That's really too bad, Luckii. You and your wife have my sympathy. As Erinspigs said, you did good. She knew love for 5 months, which she probably would not have known anywhere else.

Rest in peace, little girl. You are loved and missed.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:05 am

I am so sorry to hear this, Luckii. You have our sympathy.

JX4

Post   » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:10 am

I'm sorry you lost her. As others have said, you gave her love and she had a better life than she would have had otherwise. You are not to blame.

Luckii

Post   » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:39 pm

Thankyou guys. I let my wife read your comments and I think they held more value than mine alone because she seems to not be blaming herself as much now. I told her she is off somewhere in fields of grass parsley squeaking like an idiot <3

piggylover49

Post   » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:46 pm

I’m really sorry for your loss. You are a very good piggy owner- you took care of her as best you could.