Whisky - in-bred piggy and bladder problems

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:17 pm

Haven’t been on for a while and update long overdue but I still have Whisky, my little in-bred sow who is now 4 years and 4 months old.

She has had a spate of recurring UTIs this year and a few months back the vet cultured a urine sample to discover she had the corynebacterium but it was resistant to Sulfatrim. Baytril got rid of it for a few weeks but now it’s back and a further culture had results last week showing this time it’s resistant to Sulfatrim, Baytril and one other AB similar to Baytril.

Any suggestions of where we go from here? Whisky is still on Metacam meantime and shows some blood in her urine but visible on dip sticks only, not enough to be visual to the eye yet. Still squeaks a little when the Metacam is wearing off.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:51 pm

Hi, Webs!

Has she had an xray to rule out stones as a contributor to the UTIs? Have you increased fluids at all? I don't have much in the way of ideas - I hope you can find something that works for her.

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:07 am

Hi Lynx!

Yes, she was xrayed at the end of May and was totally clear then. Another one is likely the next step but trying to figure out the next best AB as we’re running out of options!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:07 am

I'm pretty sure you know that stones can form very quickly so an xray in May might not really reflect what is going on now. It might still be worthwhile to get an up to date xray (up to you).

Clint The Cuy

Post   » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:36 pm

Did the sensitivity include any other antibiotics aside from the three you’ve listed? Do they have any other discs to test?

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:05 am

Whisky is currently at the vet for an ultrasound and xray again just to rule out anything more sinister.

Doxycycline is effective against her bacteria so we have that on order but we can only get Vibramycin dispersible tablets 100mg and told to dissolve half a tablet in 10ml of water and give 1ml twice a day, she weighs 1055g.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:18 am

I wish her well. Unsure how long the dissolved tablets will retain their potency in the water. Perhaps you could ask your vet or a pharmacist. You might also look into using a suspension meant for this, like OraPlus. A link below to an old topic.

Directions for Compounding Enalapril and meloxicam
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... =3&t=18899

Webs
Cavies 'n Cobwebs

Post   » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:09 pm

Whisky's ultrasound and xray didn't show any sign of anything sinister just sludge in the bladder. She's been on the Doxy for 5 days now and tolerates it better than Baytril. It has made a difference already in that there is no sign of any sludge on the fleeces or signs of blood in her urine - for now!

Both the vet and pharmacist said the mixture does not keep, to use immediately and make fresh every dose. The tablets do dissolve into suspension but better in lukewarm water than cold. It does settle if left to stand though so mix up and get it quickly into the syringe. It has no real taste so I don't add anything for flavour and Whisky takes it no problem.

She'll have another urine test once the ABs are finished.