Storage of nebulized antibiotic

TeddyGram
Supporter

Post   » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:10 pm

Our vet gave me Teddy’s antibiotic (URI) in individual vials which she prepared at the clinic for me to use at home in the nebulizer. He wasn’t tolerating the oral one well. I was keeping the vials in the refrigerator just because that’s where his probiotic and oral antibiotic were. I left one vial out by mistake. I can’t find any information about if the med has to be refrigerated. It’s his last dose and I don’t want to skip it. But I don’t want to intro bacteria into his lungs, either. I can’t get to the vet for 20 hours or so. Any experience with this? BTW, he’s been a real trooper!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:07 pm

What is the antibiotic? Sometimes you can find out information online. I am going to guess you can go ahead and use it. The vials are likely sealed pretty well.

To do a more thorough check, do a search of the particular medication online.

TeddyGram
Supporter

Post   » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:56 am

I did do an online search and the results were ambiguous. Thanks for responding. These vials were prepared by the vet and were not “sealed” the way ones that are prepacked might be. Internet references were for ones in which people had to add the dilutant (saline) themselves. It is his last dose. I’ll call the vet today. If I get a new vial, it will have been 48 hours since his last dose. Hope that will be okay.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:08 am

By the way, sometimes human pharmacists are willing to give you advice on things like this, if you provide the name of the medication and all pertinent information.

Let us know what the vet would have advised in this situation (and if they needed to be refrigerated).

Clint The Cuy

Post   » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:29 am

Which antibiotic is it? When was it reconstituted? And how long was it at room temp?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:52 am

Clint The Cuy knows her stuff so if you can provide this info, she will likely be able to help.

TeddyGram
Supporter

Post   » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:56 pm

I spoke to Teddy’s vet. She said it’s fine to use the Gentocin for the nebulizer unrefrigerated. So I’m home from work now and he’s snuggled up next to me getting his treatment. Thanks everyone!

Clint The Cuy

Post   » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:22 pm

For the record, gentocin is generally kept at room temp.

TeddyGram
Supporter

Post   » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:00 pm

Do you know if room temperature storage includes gentocin solution for nebulizer that is not in a “factory sealed” dose container? Thank you.