HELP! Bacitracin Ointment

Nugandpip

Post   » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:35 pm

So my older guinea pig was at the vet yesterday to be treated for a uri and he got an antibiotic and eye ointment. I was giving him the ointment today and a small drop went under his eye so I went to wet a towel to wash it off and when I looked back he rubbed it with his paw and I don’t know if he might’ve licked it! What should I do I feel absolutely terrible and want to know how worried I should be. Any help at all and as fast as possible would be appreciated. It does have bacitracin in it and that’s why I’m worried.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:00 pm

One swipe of it isn't likely to hurt him, but I'd keep a close eye on whether he's eating and pooping normally.

It's always best to apply antibiotic ointments with a q-tip and rub in well. Of course, if it's going IN the eye, that's not possible, but you can try to apply a small amount at a time under the lower eyelid.

Nugandpip

Post   » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:24 pm

bpatters, thank you so much for replying so quickly. I will definitely be watching him even closer now(I was already monitoring his food/poop because of his uri). I will definitely keep a towel on hand now just in case. Thanks again