Sudden thirst increase, urine scald, high calcium, diet

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:27 pm

I think most of us use Critical Care as a food supplement for a sick pig.

Don't overdo the fruit. The sugar can upset the pig's digestive tract, and you don't need more problems than you've already got.

daj

Post   » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:41 pm

OK, thank you.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:14 pm

If you add vitamins, use plain vitamin C only. And measure it (25mg).

daj

Post   » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:48 am

I order what I thought was C only, but I see it has other nutrients. I will have to find another. What is the reason for not giving others? Should I not use the multi on all my pigs?

So I've given Henry the third dose of the Bactrin this morning. There does not seem to be much change in the drinking. I would have thought it would make an almost immediate impact if it was the right thing to do. I plan to check with the vet first thing Monday. Is 2-3 days the rule for continuing with the med? If I don't see change, do I stop? I dread the thought of having giving him an antibiotic unnecessarily. I should have had his urine tested first. I've gone through 2 specimen bottles now, but haven't succeeded in getting enough to get it to the vet in a timely manner. I had his urine checked a few months ago when he had urine scald, and there were elevated calcium carbonate crystals. I've changed his diet since, and the urine scald has been better. Now it's just the drinking.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:24 am

Some vitamins are fat soluble, and since guinea pigs have such a high proportion of fat in their bodies, they can build up toxic levels. Generally multivitamins are used only when a pig is very debilitated, and even then not in the commonly recommended amounts. Plain C is all you need.

And Bactrim not only won't affect a pig's drinking, it won't have much noticeable effect at all after just three doses.

Without reading back, has he been checked for diabetes?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:16 pm

All vitamins (even plain C) will have some other ingredients. Can you list the other ingredients?

You primarily want to avoid multivitamins, as bpatters describes.

daj

Post   » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:14 pm

He was checked for diabetes... by the nail clipping to get blood. She said he does not have diabetes.

So, I should continue the Bactrin for now, right?

The vitamins are Oasis Vita Drops. I got them from Amazon by searching for liquid C. But, they also have A- 41,500 IU, D3- 1,750 IU, a bunch of the different B vitamins, E- 67.5 IU, C- 2,120 mg. Fortunately, I haven't been using them much. They eat orange or red pepper every day and orange every other, so I figured that would be getting them enough C.

daj

Post   » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:35 pm

Also, 2 vets said there is no sign of stones, based on an xray from 1 side. They said his digestive tract looks great. He has a great appetite, and his poops are the best of the three. He eats hay or pellets and then goes to the bottle, especially at night. He goes through more than 8 oz. per day. Consequently he urinates a lot, With the other 2, I hardly see their bottles' water level go down, which is how Henry used to be. The change was sudden.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:00 pm

Why is he on Bactrim? Does he have a diagnosed UTI?

daj

Post   » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:53 pm

No. They ruled out diabetes and stones. They advised checking his urine, but I hadn't succeeded it collecting it and getting it to them. Then he started sneezing at night... not a lot. I asked about an antibiotic, and they provided it. Is it a bad idea? I intend to get a urine sample to them tomorrow.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:14 pm

I don't like giving antibiotics to guinea pigs unless they're really sick and need one. Antibiotics can really do a number on their digestive tracts, and I avoid them whenever possible. That said, if a pig actually has definite signs of a UTI (excess drinking isn't a definitive sign, in my book), or definite signs of a URI, then yes, I'd want an antibiotic. But to give them one when you don't know what's wrong with them not only may not help, it may hurt, and it may also mask what's actually going on, making it harder to get an accurate diagnosis.

daj

Post   » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:30 pm

I agree. It has been agonizing though... going on for a month now. Right now there are no other signs of trouble. He was just popcorning. Tonight will be the 4th dose. He still drinks a lot, always right after eating. Should I stop the antibiotic? I wonder if I've worried about something I shouldn't, but it has been so distressing watching and hearing him drink and drink.