Sudden thirst increase, urine scald, high calcium, diet

daj

Post   » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:25 am

Henry, a hairless male, has had ringworm twice before. After the second time I switched from paper bedding to fleece, cleaned, sanitized and switched from wood cage to C&C. We had a couple good months without itching, but now he is having painful itching again. I have been shampooing with Miconahex every other day and using Butt Paste, which is 40% zinc oxide. It's been about 3 weeks, and to night I switched from the Butt Paste to Miconazole. He hasn't had the round bulls eye, but his skim has shown irritation, perhaps just from scratching. The last time the vet ruled out mites. I haven't taken him in yet on this latest episode. This is really frustrating though, especially after buying everything new. I don't know why he keeps having these issues.Does anyone have any thoughts?
Thanks!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:54 am

I don't think Butt Paste would be effective against a fungus. And he needs a cream applied twice daily rather than shampooing every other day. I'd continue with the Miconazole twice daily for several days and see if it improves.

However, if he's really itching very badly, he may need a steroid cream as well to calm things down.

BTW, there's no way for a vet to "rule out mites." Scrapings miss the mites 50% of the time, and are painful for the pig and for your pocketbook. The usual course of action is to treat for mites regardless of the result of the tests. My recommendation would be to skip any future tests for mites.

And, if the Miconazole doesn't help, then treating for mites with ivermectin would be a good step.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:13 pm

Treating for mites is pretty benign (not at all dangerous). It might be worth doing so to rule it out.
www.guinealynx.info/mites.html
www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html

daj

Post   » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:20 pm

Good advice. Thanks to both. I will give it a try a see how it goes.

daj

Post   » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:58 am

The miconazole doesn't seem to help. It's in the shampoo, which I've been using for a few weeks, and I applied it as a cream a few times now. But as soon as I stop the Butt Paste, which seems to calm the itching, his skin looks worse. He also seems to have puffiness, like fluid build up. at the fleshy part of the back of his neck.

I took him to the vet today and he was given a dose of Revolution. If this doesn't work I don't know what to do. I was furious with myself for allowing a skin scraping despite being well acquainted with the opinion here. It showed no mites. I wonder how long I should wait to see if this med is helping? His skin looks irritated, with tiny scabby looking dots in some places, and he yelps when he scratches. The scratching is just a few times per hour, but I hate seeing him suffer.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:30 am

I am really glad you are trying the Revolution. Another possibility is a complicating bacterial skin infection.

One of the worst skin cases I have seen is here:
http://www.guinealynx.info/records/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=96

We never knew exactly what caused the condition, nor what worked for this guinea pig but she got treatments for everything.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:47 am

Try a triple antibiotic cream. The problem may be bacterial rather than fungal. Just apply it sparingly twice a day with a q-tip and rub it in well so he can't ingest it.

daj

Post   » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:51 am

One day after the Revolution was applied he is no longer scratching. I'm hoping his skin will start looking better soon too. Based on this, I went ahead and treated the other two. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:51 am

I don't know that you would see positive results so quickly but not scratching is good anyway.

daj

Post   » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:12 pm

Have you ever heard of the swelling at the back of the neck? It looks like The vet checked it but she had no ideas on the cause. It's more pronounced now.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:35 pm

Is the neck itself swollen, or is there just a lump? Can you post a picture?

How and where was the Revolution given?

daj

Post   » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:20 pm

It was there before the med was applied, but it's in that general area. And, it was just squeezed out onto his skin in a few places.

At the base of his neck, what would be the trapezius on a human, he has a meaty or fleshy area. It's not on the neck itself. It may be the muscles at the base of his neck, in the center, the very topmost part of his back, right where his neck starts. Right in there there looks like puffy fluid accumulation. The vet tech noticed it first, but neither of them offered any thoughts on it. Hopefully it will dissipate as his skin heals.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:22 pm

Is it tender? Hot to the touch? Does it look like there was an injury there?

sef1268
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:47 pm

As bpatters mentioned, a photo might be helpful.

daj

Post   » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:08 pm

I haven't been able to get a good photo where it's clearly noticeable, but will try again today. I does not appear to be any warmer to the touch than the rest of him, and it doesn't seem painful or tender. There is no sign of it being caused by any sort of injury, as far as I can tell. It's not a fixed type of swelling. It moves with his skin, like fluid or fattiness under there.

After the Revolution his skin cleared up quickly, although I've noticed each of them still scratching a bit. Yesterday and today Henry is sitting in a trance a lot more than he normally would.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:55 pm

There are such things as "fatty lipomas". They are collections of fat under the skin. I think they are more likely to show up on the belly, though.
[corrected my spelling of lipoma]

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:59 pm

If you want to see lipomas, watch Dr. Pimple Popper on YouTube. Lipomas actually can occur, at least in humans, from the top of the head to the bottom of the feet, and everywhere in between.

daj

Post   » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:10 pm

The surface of the skin there is completely normal looking. It may also have been there long before the vet tech noticed it.

On the itching, Henry's skin cleared pretty much immediately after the Revolution, but they all still scratch more than I think is normal. I wonder if I should resume the shampoo or just keep an eye on it for now?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:16 pm

A follow up dose of Revolution can help a lot if he had a severe case of mites.

sef1268
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:42 pm

Agree.

155 posts