Medical thread for Omena, two year old rescue sow

Helsu

Post   » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:48 am

Not at the moment. We don't have Bene-bac here. Before I've tried some other probiotics but never seen them really be helpful.

Wondering what to do with the medications. She eats a bit better but still looks very much like everything is not ok. Most of the day she just hunches in the cage. Skin already got a bit better. I took the collar off because she is more active without it. But last night she had scratched the other side of her face again and now there is a wound. So collar back on. Should I start fungus medication orally? Wash her with fungus shampoo? Can't redo the Selamectin for a few weeks. I don't see any problems anywhere else in the skin but the face. Eyes looking ok. Conjunctivas still slightly swollen.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:23 am

I take it you have trimmed the nails and rounded their points?

I encourage you to read this topic in the Records forum. It was a very difficult skin issue where we were unsure about the cause and the poster and their vet threw everything at it. Program (oral treatment for fungus) seemed to help at the end. And a body bandage helped prevent this guinea pig from subsequent severe facial scratching:
https://www.guinealynx.info/records/view ... p?f=1&t=96

Helsu

Post   » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:35 am

I actually read that topic this morning!

Nails are cut. She luckily doesn't really her scratch body at all. Her face is getting worse again. Came from work and she constantly tries to claw it through the collar and when applying topical cream she screamed a lot and got this these seizure like fits again :(

We only have Itrafungol orally here but I have to order it to the pharmacy and it will take at least two days. But I think I will go with that. I just hope it doesn't make her appetite worse.

Do you think washing with Nizoral etc would still be worth while even though her body looks clean?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:19 pm

Do you think washing with Nizoral etc would still be worth while even though her body looks clean?
I don't know. But if you personally think it might help and want to give it a try, I would go ahead and do so.

Helsu

Post   » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:18 pm

Did the wash and she took it suprisingly well. Also ordered the Itrafungol to the pharmacy and will start it in a few days if the problems still continue. Thank you all for your input!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:18 pm

By the way, I think with Michigan Joe, the body wrap made it more difficult to scratch the face (he was not scratching his body). So it could still help if you are having problems.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:05 pm

THank you for taking over the care of this pig. She's a lucky girl to have you.

Helsu

Post   » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:14 am

Today she is looking a bit brighter. Don't know if it is ok to post my Instagram account here but there you can see more pictures, videos and updates on her recovery https://www.instagram.com/pienetpossut/

Helsu

Post   » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:15 am

Here is a new set of pictures showing the improvement in a two week period.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:22 am

This is extremely encouraging!

Helsu

Post   » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:25 am

Hopefully you can see the video through this link https://www.dropbox.com/s/10rnxgcplvqr2 ... 5.mp4?dl=0

This is that weird head nudging she gets. It has nothing to do with giving meloxicam as I first thought. It just starts and then eventually stops. Makes me wonder if she might have some problems in the head... Seen something like this and terrible scratching in dogs with syringomyelia.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:05 pm

I was able to see your video. I don't recall my guinea pigs making that movement so I am unsure what it means. Hopefully someone else can comment.