Medical thread for Omena, two year old rescue sow

Helsu

Post   » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:15 am

Here is a new set of pictures showing the improvement in a two week period.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:22 am

This is extremely encouraging!

Helsu

Post   » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:25 am

Hopefully you can see the video through this link https://www.dropbox.com/s/10rnxgcplvqr2 ... 5.mp4?dl=0

This is that weird head nudging she gets. It has nothing to do with giving meloxicam as I first thought. It just starts and then eventually stops. Makes me wonder if she might have some problems in the head... Seen something like this and terrible scratching in dogs with syringomyelia.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:05 pm

I was able to see your video. I don't recall my guinea pigs making that movement so I am unsure what it means. Hopefully someone else can comment.

Helsu

Post   » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:11 am

She is maybe a little better. But still not eating good on her own and seems very very depressed.

When do you think I could give her some company? I've now been treating her for fungus for a week and for possible mites for two weeks. I have six piggies of my own and I could give her one for companion, not let her to the pack. But of course I wouldn't want even that one to get infected with anything. I am very puzzled what to do to make her feel better. She is losing weight and her eating is on and off. Just when I'm about to declare her healthy she stops eating for 12 hours.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:33 am

I'd give her a buddy. Just be prepared to do full introductions since they've been apart for a while.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:48 am

Just a warning here - you have successfully treated for possible mites/fungus and it is clearing up. Her immune system is likely not the best. Healthy guinea pigs can sometimes be carriers of parasites and disease without showing signs. It is possible when you reintroduce her, she may have some recurrence if your other guinea pigs have not been preventively treated for mites (fungus should be evident).

That said, companionship is good. I would consider treating all your guinea pigs for mites as a preventive measure. If you do not, at least be aware of the possibility.

DPickles

Post   » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:28 pm

I have personally used Atarax for itching and my vet prescribed it successfully for my dog. I know guinea pigs have tolerated it in studies. It does make them drowsy. If she's still itchy, maybe your vet might consider it. It also helps with allergies though not as well as some other medications.

Helsu

Post   » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:10 am

The worst seizure like itching has gone down. I had Midazolam to inject for that and it helped. She still occasionally scratches her face/ears/neck but it is minimal compared to last week.

I have this two month old little girl that I gave her for companion yesterday and the effect was amazing. Omena ate more in four hours than she has in a week. They didn't become best friends but are getting along without fighting. Omena is still somehow a bit weird even the eating got better. Haven't seen her sleep relaxed. She just hunches with her eyes closed during the night. But hopefully she will keep getting better. The company anyway helped a lot already!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:55 pm

Companionship can indeed make a world of difference. I hope it helps her recovery.

Helsu

Post   » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:02 am

I am completely puzzled. Now she has nightly diarrhea. And I really mean nightly. I change her bedding every morning and normal poops during the day but after two nights there is spots of loose poops everywhere! She does caprophagy normally but quite often. Everytime I see her poop it looks normal. Hair is growing and itching is rare. Still she seems to be in discomfort and not eating as good as she should. Last nite she had chewed part of a rug... Heartburn?Something wrong with her stomach? Haven't given any oral medications lately. What should I do? X-rays of the stomach? Could there be a foreign body? I'm getting frustrated because I can't help her.

Helsu

Post   » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:56 am

When i palpate her head/jaws/ears she screams and tries to scratch... I will sedate her tomorrow and take x-rays from the head and stomach.