Ferb’s Medical Thread - needs to regain weight

Rywen

Post   » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:40 am

Hi All, I need input on how to get weight onto my guinea pig. He has multiple medical conditions. Here are the details:

Name - Ferb
Age - 5, I adopted him from a coworker’s family when he was a few months old, they got him at a big chain pet store
Sex - male, neutered
Cage mates - Penny, spayed female age 4 (almost 5) & Trixie, intact female, age unknown b/c she was found in a parking lot but best guess is around 3yo

Ferb is under the care of one of the best exotics vets in the DC area at Stahl Exotics (SEAVS)

Ferb has a thyroid cyst, his bloodwork keeps coming back hypothyroidism but all symptoms are like hyperthyroidism
He has a lower jaw abscess and is permanently missing his lower right incisor, this has been the case for 1.5 years
He has permanent inner ear disease in his right ear, this has been the case for several years
Now he has probable bone cancer in his lower right jaw (recently diagnosed). I say probable because I am not putting a 5yo guinea pig through a bone biopsy when all symptoms and x-rays point towards osteosarcoma.

Ferb has his molars trimmed regularly. He is getting critical care two times a day, he eats a good amount (45-50ml) each feeding. He is eating hay, veggies and pellets whenever he is awake. He is bright eyed, alert and active, you would never guess he is ill.

The problem, he continues to lose weight. His vet tried him on methimazole b/c of the thyroid cyst, it made him hyper and he lost weight faster.

He’s down to 700 grams, once upon a time he was 1100 grams.

I need the hive mind (you all) to let me know how to get weight back onto Ferb? Should I try veggie baby food? Other ideas? Any help is appreciated!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:02 am

My guess is that the cancer is what's making him lose the weight, and you'd be fighting a losing battle to try to get him to regain it. It's very hard to get an older guinea pig to gain weight even after a "regular" illness, but one of the hallmarks of cancer is the weight loss it causes.

You could try sprinkling a few oats in with his pellets and see if that makes a difference.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:06 am

I'm thinking of you both.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:09 am

It sounds like you have given him great care over the years, especially to have dealt with so many medical issues.

bpatters makes good points. Are you doing any hand feeding or supplementing of his food? If a guinea pig can/will eat on its own, some people make a mushy ball of Critical Care to help supplement.

PiggyFlamingo

Post   » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:50 am

To Lynx's point, our older boy Hawkeye had trouble maintaining weight after his mystery illness that our vet's could not figure out. Even though he is eating on his own now finally, we supplement him with a probiotic (fauna flora) and Sherwood Recovery Critical Care once a day. He seems to love it and his brother Gamba gets the leftovers! Also, with Hawkeye and his lack of weight (was 1350g and is now around 1030g) our vet recommended Canna Pet Advanced Max CBD Oil as the traditional meds to stimulate appetite did not work. It also seemed to help him perk up more. I understand the issue with Ferb isn't so much the lack of appetite but the continuation of weight loss. Our vet (Dr P/Dr K from Broward Avian and Exotics) also said it would be not unusual if Hawkeye never puts that weight back on at his age (4.5 y/o)

My only other experience with weight loss and cancer was with our 3y/o female Ralfie who was diagnosed with lymphoma after continuing to drop large amounts of weight despite eating everything in sight. We eventually had to make the decision to help her over the rainbow bridge.

I really hope that Ferb perks up and stops losing weight. Sending love to you both.

Rywen

Post   » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:21 pm

Thank you all for the fast responses! Hi bpatters, how are you?

To clarify, Ferb is eating 45-50 ml of Critical Care twice a day (so 90-100 mls total). I’m really lucky, he loves it and eats it off a spoon! He acts like he’s starving all of the time, way more so than usual for a guinea pig. If he’s awake he’s eating.

He’s had the jaw abscess and thyroid cyst for a while now. As far as his vet and I know, those were the cause of the weight loss to date. The cancer diagnosis is recent. Unfortunately his weight loss seems to be accelerating.

Needless to say, I’m frustrated and worried! I may try the rolled oats, but mixed in with his Critical Care (if I put them in the pellets Penny and Trixie will eat them and Penny is big for her frame, just over 1500 grams).

Thank you all for the feedback, advice and well wishes! If there are any additional ideas please let me know.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:32 am

I hope his appetite continues even if doesn't help the weight loss very much.

Good luck. I'm sending good thoughts.

Rywen

Post   » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:00 pm

Thank you, GrannyJu1! So far he will still eat everything in sight.

PiggyFlamingo, is that the Dr. K from the TVshow?