Submandibular abscess

ShawnF

Post   » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:52 pm

So it wasn’t long after I joined the forum and introduced my three pigs ( https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... 14&t=77012 ) that I noticed a large lump developing under Buttons’ left mandible. It felt kind of firm and a little tender, and after googling about and reading information here, I suspected a cervical abscess.

Sure enough, after visiting the vet, that’s what he was diagnosed with. My wife brought him to his appointment as I was working, but she was told they drained it, and Buttons was given two antibiotics (flagyl and baytril) in addition to a probiotic. The vet suspected that maybe Buttons poked the inside of his mouth with a piece of hay to trigger the whole thing, but wasn’t sure.

When he came home that day, the lump looked the same despite the drainage, but after 2 weeks of the antibiotic, it gradually went away. When he went for his follow-up visit, the vet still felt a little something there , and maybe another lump palpated under a molar, but he wasn’t sure. He advised to return if he got worse again as he might have to have surgery (not sure if he meant on the abscess, a tooth, or both).

The main issue we have had the past 10 days has been Buttons not eating, and losing weight. We were force feeding him for days and he finally started to show some interest in food, but not as much as normal. Today he finally gained an ounce.

I also noticed today that the lump under his left mandible is reappearing. It is about the size of a Lima bean (but round), is firm and does not seem tender.

So, I guess he will be visiting the vet again. I don’t really want to put him through all those antibiotics again, as I think they are a big part of his appetite loss, but I may not have a choice. I also don’t know what kind of an outcome to expect if he has to have the abscess or node extracted, a molar removed, or both?

If anyone has had a similar experience with a pig of theirs, or has thoughts to share, I would love to hear them!

Thanks. 🐹

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:51 am

If he has an abscess, you pretty much need antibiotics. Has he had an xray of his skull? Was the bacteria identified?

Pain is also a reason not to eat on one's own. You might ask about metacam while he is under treatment for the possible recurring abscess.

By the way, in googling around, I ran across a helpful illustrated article on abscesses. It does not cover everything, but quite a bit. Guinea Lynx is referenced.
https://www.wikihow.pet/Treat-Abscesses-in-Guinea-Pigs

ShawnF

Post   » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:44 pm

Thank you, Lynx.

No, Buttons did not have an Xray done. Are you curious if it would identify a dental infection?

The vet apparently did not send the pus for culture, identification/sensitivities. Not sure why not. Whatever organism it was, however, it definitely responded to at least one of the antibiotics as the abscess seemed pretty much gone after they were finished.

My wife said he ate a little better today, and actually joined his “brothers” at the hay tree for lunch, so that’s good news. Haven’t weighed him yet today, though.

I’ll post updates as they occur.

ShawnF

Post   » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:54 pm

Yuck. After finishing my post above, we noticed a strong odor about him while feeding him, and it looks like the abscess is draining again. Just started him back on the antibiotic. He has an appointment with the vet again on Friday.

For tonight, he’s going back into isolation I guess. His brothers will be sad.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:36 pm

While he is on antibiotics, he should not be contagious.

An xray would show the extent of the infection and involvement of the teeth and tooth root, from what I understand.

ShawnF

Post   » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:30 pm

Well, my wife called the vet this AM and they asked to see him today instead of Friday as the abscess is draining again. I’ll post later what transpired.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:40 pm

A x-ray would identify a tooth abscess. Cervical lymphadenitis is also a possibility, and would not show up on x-ray. Seems like a x-ray would be a good diagnostic move.

If it is CL, the lump needs to be drained and the pig put on antibiotics. If it's a tooth abscess, it's much more difficult to treat.

Are you seeing an exotic vet, or a small animal vet?

ShawnF

Post   » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:48 pm

Thanks, Bpatters.

I just spoke to my wife who is driving him home from the vet (the entire practice is dedicated to exotics).

I guess they didn’t want to do an X-ray, they examined his teeth and thought they looked ok. The vet was pleased that the abscess was draining, cleaned him up (I would assume the pocket was irrigated, but I don’t know for sure), and put him back on the same two antibiotics at a slightly higher dose.

His weight was down from his last visit (which we know as we have been weighing him at home) but the vet was not concerned. We’ll just keep up with the force feedings to supplement what he is taking by his own volition.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:52 pm

If it's draining, it needs to be flushed two or three times a day so that it heals from the inside out. Otherwise you're just going to rinse and repeat the same process of it rupturing and having to put him on antibiotics.

If it comes back again, you should probably see another vet.

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:17 pm

It is probably the Baytril that is causing him to lose his appetite. It is known to do that much more so than other antibiotics. It’s usually the best antibiotic for an abscess so you may be stuck with using it and force-feeding him while he is on it. His appetite should return quickly to normal once you are able to discontinue the Baytril.

ShawnF

Post   » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:30 pm

I think you’re right, Catie. He was eating well when he had the original abscess, but it wasn’t until starting on the antibiotics that his appetite plummeted.

He seems to be doing ok now. I’ve decided to isolate him, as a measure of caution, until he’s has a few doses of antibiotics on board. I kind of wish the vet had placed a vessel loop or something to keep the abscess from closing, but I’ll try to irrigate it as advised.

ShawnF

Post   » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:35 pm

Well, here is “B”, looking kind of spunky tonight, and getting ready for his feeding. He has been eating so-so on his own, and we are supplementing with pellet mush and a little baby food (carrots).

His abscess was just under his jaw on his left side, and as you can see in the picture, it’s not really noticeable right now. He is still having a little stinky drainage (hence the purple gloves), but very little.

He has been all alone since coming back from the vet yesterday, and you can tell he misses his brothers. We’re going to reintegrate them tomorrow if he is not actively draining.

I imagine his half of the cage my be pretty contaminated at this point with whatever bacteria caused the boil, so we’ll have to change his fleece, try to sanitize his couch, etc, before letting the other piggies visit.