My baby jumped off the couch

PiggieMomma

Post   » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:01 pm

Hi. My baby piggy, Brownie, jumped off our couch a few months ago and hit his head. He recovered within a few minutes. however yesterday he had like a "dizzy" spell. He had a head tilt and his eyes were tracing. He laid in his cage and scooted around on his side for about 20 minutes. He hasn't had any signs of anything since he hit his head and yesterday. I am concerned. could he have some brain damage? what would have caused this 3-4 months after he jumped of the couch?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:43 pm

Your best bet is to see a vet for an evaluation. Meanwhile, treat him as though he is ill, start weighing daily and be ready to hand feed if he loses weight.

What you observed may be unrelated to the jump.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:46 pm

I agree with Lynx that it's unlikely to be related to jumping off the couch. He could have an inner ear problem. A vet visit would be in order.

In case you didn't know, guinea pigs are like horses -- their eyes are on the sides of their heads, and so they have very poor depth perception. Three inches, three feet -- it all looks the same to them. They should never be placed in a position where they can get startled and jump -- it doesn't always end so well.

SkittleandTwix
Supporter in '11

Post   » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:20 pm

Piggiemama - I’m so sorry!

I had almost the same thing happen a year ago. My piggy was out walking in the kitchen, got scared at a loud noise, tried to run, skidded on the linoleum in fright and hit his head on the corner of a cabinet.

Three or four months went by and one day, out of the blue, he started showing the symptoms you describe -head tilt and scooting on his side. He was treated with antibiotics, but never recovered. A necropsy showed he had an infection of the optical nerve that spread to his brain. He otherwise sermed totally healthy.

Like you, I asked myself if it could have been related to hitting his head (or hitting his eye). Like the other posters here, I thought it was unlikely. However, your post raised the issue in my head again. It might be a total coincidence that both our piggies had an accident and had similar symptoms. Obviously, it might be a simple ear infection. I thought I’d post this info in case there is a connection and knowing about my case was helpful.

I hope your piggy is doing well!!! I hope there is no connection between the fall and his symptoms, but I’d be very interested to know. The more we all learn, the better.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:03 am

Ditto the advice you have received. Inner ear infections are usually persistent; that is, symptoms don't usually come and go, but if he does have one -- or anything connected to his earlier fall -- the sooner he's checked out and treated if necessary, the better. Inner ear infections get hard to treat the longer they persist, or get "set in".

Be sure to see a cavy-knowledgeable vet if you don't have one lined up already. I'm pretty sure there's at least one in SLC, maybe Provo.

Good luck to him and you, and please keep us posted.