Tumors

chuckypoopig

Post   » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:08 am

My daughters 4yr old guinea pig has had a very small tumor on his jaw/neck. The past few days, the tumor has grown to a pretty large size, making it harder for him to move his front left leg.

-Is there anything we can give him to help with swelling? So far the only thing I was told was 1 milliliter of Benadryl every 8 hours.
If that's the only thing, then we will keep on that. We are trying to keep him as comfortable as possible.

-Surgery is not an option.

Have you experienced a piggie with cancer/tumor? What did you do?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:44 am

How do you know it's a tumor and not cervical lymphadenitis, which is pretty easily treated. Anything growing that quickly is far more apt to be an infection than a tumor.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:52 am

Ditto bpatters. This may be something that requires draining, flushing, and antibiotics.

ShawnF

Post   » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:25 pm

Given the location,it’s probably an abscess and can be drained. We are going through something similar with our pig currently as well (in fact, he is at the vet right now).

Guinea pigs, like people, have numerous lymph nodes under the jaw, but in contrast to humans, the lymph nodes tend to abscess I guess, instead of just getting inflamed.

If you bring him to the vet, and they agree it’s an abscess, it can be treated. From what I understand (others can correct me if i’m wrong), solid tumors are pretty rare in guinea pigs.

chuckypoopig

Post   » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:54 pm

I took him into our vet and it was examined and they did some different imagery things to look at it from "the inside" and said it was a tumor. I will see about finding another vet when I get paid next. This trip to the vet was a few hundred dollars.. eek!

chuckypoopig

Post   » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:59 pm

The vet explained that it's not uncommon in older pigs and pigs that have inbreeding in their background or were a result of continued inbreeding. I adopted this pig from a rescue. His prior home, he came from an animal hoarding situation.. loose pigs, rabbits, cats ,dogs... etc.. LOTS of them at that, it was suspected the animal hoarding situation had been going on for several years, if not 10 or more due to the large number of animals and decay, etc. The rescue is pretty sure he and his brother were the result of inbreeding due to the hoarding circumstances.

chuckypoopig

Post   » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:04 pm

I will look into another vet that knows about guinea pigs. :)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:46 pm

Did the vet try a biopsy? Or put a syringe in the lump to see if fluid could be drawn?

chuckypoopig

Post   » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:13 pm

No biopsy, said she didn't want to cause anymore stress for him. Syringe yes, no puss or sign of infection. I'm still going to try and find another vet.. not many in my area that specialize in "exotic animals" that have openings.