Senior guinea pig losing hair with what looks like crust...any ideas what it is?

silverlotus

Post   » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:05 am

My male guinea pig has been losing hair in clumps that are attached to a black crust near his rump. The hair that is still in the area looks like it is crusted down to the skin. When you touch the area, he becomes very uncomfortable and starts wigging out. I’ve tried to lightly search for something but that hair is hard and impossible to move without hurting the poor boy. Some background on him, he is almost 7 years old and is my only piggy. He has no allergies and is still very active. Do any of you know what this could possibly be or know ways to treat it at home? We only have 1 vet in the area that would care for guinea pigs and they charge a fortune just for one visit.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:21 am

Is the crusted area right above where his tail would be if he had one? If so, it's his grease gland, and it may need cleaning and treatment with an antifungal or antibiotic cream. See https://www.guinealynx.info/grooming.html#grease_gland

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:22 am

Note, I see pbatters just replied. I will add my reply as well.

Apply cold pressed coconut oil liberally to soften and clean the area so you can see what you are dealing with. This sounds like the grease gland (may be just dirty or may be infected).

silverlotus

Post   » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:00 am

Thank you all. I’ve never heard of guinea pigs having grease glands but now I know! It will be so nice to get him back to being a snuggle bug.