Benebac or Fibreplex

Eva121

Post   » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:29 pm

I am having a little squishy poo scenario with my piggies and was wondering if Benebac would work instead of Fibreplex? Just wondering since everyone seems to like Fibreplex quite a lot but I cant buy it here.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:50 pm

I've never used Fibreplex, but Benebac has always worked when I've needed to use it.

Have you cut back on veggies? That's usually the first step.

Eva121

Post   » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:10 pm

Yes I have cut back on veggies. They didnt get any fresh veggies for 24 hours, there was no difference.
For right now I am basically giving them slim to none, only some lettuce and a half a piece of bell pepper for both.
I'll get them on Benebac! Thanks!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:56 pm

I'd give it longer than 24 hours without veggies before giving up. 48, at a minimum.

Eva121

Post   » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:17 pm

Hi!
One of my other threads on this was locked so I am restarting this one!

So, the guinea pigs poos are also REALLY smelly
I wouldn't say they are super suuupeerrr smelly or anything but there is definitely an odor.
Could this be caused by the stomach problems they are having (aka soft poos)?
Has anyone experienced and if so what did you do to fix it?
I did go to my vet, she still told me to use some Fibreplex, but I am still interested in suggestions to help the piggies.
And no, these are not the Cecal poos.

I have also been using PB8, a probiotic for humans.
I think I have used it for about 5 days or so, no difference.
Should I just wait for the Fibreplex *that will come in 2 weeks* and stop using this probiotic?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:02 pm

The probiotic should be okay. Be sure you read www.guinealynx.info/diarrhea.html to understand better what may be happening. An overgrowth of bad bacteria can lead to odor and serious issues.

Describe the diet you are providing.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:19 pm

You had multiple threads on the same subject, which is why one or more were closed.

In another thread on the same topic, I asked the same question about diet and the OP responded:

1/1/2019, 10:35 pm

In the morning they get a slice of bell pepper, a big green leaf of lettuce, and then I mix in whatever vegetables I have at home.Sometimes they get greenbeans, spinach, carrots *not a lot*, baby corn, cherry tomatoes *I dont give these often*, bean sprouts, etc. I also give them 1 small slice of fruit a week. I also feed them at night.

Eva121

Post   » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:21 pm

Should I order some Bio-Sponge and see if that works? According to the link it seems very helpful.
My vet has not been open or taking calls so I can't ask them. ://

Eva121

Post   » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:21 pm

Any opinions on Bio Sponge?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:46 pm

If you do a search of the forum, you will turn up some experiences. GrannyJu1 has had generally positive experiences with it.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:07 am

Yes, I use Bio-Sponge on one of my babies - Fuzzbutt. She's had soft and smelly poos as far back as I can remember (she's 5 years old now), and nothing else has helped. I can't keep her off the B-S or the "icks" come back, but I can keep her off for a few days at time if I'm careful to give it to her at least once every few days. I've been using it for close to a year now, I think. The people at Platinum have worked with me and assure me that it's safe for daily use, even for guinea pigs. :o)

Reading Fuzzbutt's medical thread might make a little better sense.

Eva121

Post   » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:25 am

Thanks for the reply Granny Ju1!!
I will take a look at the thread!