Could she possibly be pregnant?

cedes1389

Post   » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:57 am

My guinea pig, Peppermint, is new to my home. She was adopted from petsmart after a man moved into his new apartment only to find her and a male (assumed the brother) were left behind. I have no idea if they were housed together within the time frame of them being within the apartment, but he was adopted separately from her. She's thicker around the middle than my previous piggies, hence why I'm concerned. They had more of a straight body, whereas she is more rounded in the abdomen area. She also eats a lot more than my other piggies. Any thoughts? If not pregnant could she have another health issue? I saw blood (I believe in her urine but not sure if it was from her rectum) twice late tonight and I've never seen that before. I thought perhaps it could be linked to pregnancy or kidney stones.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:05 am

Was the blood bright red or diluted? Diluted is more likely to be a urinary issue like bladder stones.

If you haven't, you might want to start weighing her regularly (handle very very carefully if you feel she may be pregnant) which should help give you an idea if she is indeed pregnant. And read over the info in the reproduction area to help with time frames, etc.
www.guinealynx.info/reproduction.html

drewbles

Post   » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:48 pm

Finding blood in the cage and then taking our piggy to the vet because of it is how we found out ours was pregnant. I hope all goes well for you two, regardless.

lisam

Post   » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:57 am

There's a pretty good chance she is pregnant. However, it's not usually normal to bleed during pregnancy. I would definitely take her to the vet, because you're going to need to find out why she's bleeding.