Ongoing Wound Care for Throat Abscess

reenact12321

Post   » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:21 pm

Hello,

I've read lots of great information on abscesses on this site and others, and I've found a vet who is taking my situation seriously, but I was hoping to pick the community's collective brain for anything I might be missing.

On Saturday December 29, I noticed a date sized lump under the throat of one of my pigs, Eleanor Pigby. It was sort of loose in the skin and didn't seem to be causing her any pain, but I thought a trip to the vet would be worth it. The vet aspirated the lump and found it to be an abscess. We started Baytril right away and scheduled a surgery for Thursday the 3rd. I was a pathetic teary eyed mess of a 30 year old man as I dropped her off and went to work waiting for good news or terrible. Luckily she came through with no problems.

The vet was uncomfortable removing it encapsulated due to its proximity to jugular veins, so he opened and drained it. he put in a drain made of a loop of surgical tubing tied with suture, and sutured the rest closed. We continued Baytril and she got some pain meds (which she hates) and I started flushing the wound once a day with a saline/very very dilute antiseptic.

On Monday the 7th, I took her into the vet for a follow up. As I picked her up, the drain popped out. The vet was going to remove it anyway. We were both unhappy to see that pus had formed up above the drain (flushing had always come out no problem). The doctor expressed the pus and took a culture. I'm hoping to hear back in a few days about possible targeting with antibiotics.

In the mean time, I'm keeping the wound open as much as possible, removing the scab and flushing with saline twice a day. I haven't seen any pus except for a tiny particle that came out on a syringe tip from the flushing. I do feel a lump there still about the size of a bean, and I've tried to express it, but I can tell it hurts and haven't seen any thing come of it. I think it might just be inflammation and the lump of the suture that yet remains keeping the wound from gaping.

I was hoping to fish for other suggestions. Traditional wound care (in people) says open is okay, but moist and covered is better. Would a a gauze pad covered in petroleum jelly be feasible to keep on her? It's up under her chin, and she does lick away the saline after the flushes, but otherwise does not seem to pester the area.

Thanks!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:41 pm

I actually think the capsule has to be removed or it's going to keep coming back. You absolutely need to keep it open and keep flushing it. Guinea pig pus is so thick and cheesy it'll never clear up otherwise.

Don't use petroleum jelly on it.

reenact12321

Post   » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:53 pm

I have a follow up with my vet when the results of the culture come back, but he did mention referring to a more qualified surgeon who may be able to remove the capsule. He said he was not quite confident in his skills enough to attempt it. There was also discussion of putting in an antibiotic bead that might help kill what's going on. I will abandon the notion of dressing the wound.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:05 pm

Good luck! Let us know if things improve.

I imagine you know how important weighing daily is and hand feeding if needed.
www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html
www.guinealynx.info/antibiotic_advice.html

reenact12321

Post   » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:09 pm

Oh yes. She lost some weight initially, the drain was so uncomfortable, but otherwise, so far as I can tell she eats like a horse. She has quickly packed a lot of it back on, and her behavior overall seems pretty normal, no signs of teeth issues or trouble eating. We believe the source of the abscess is a hay poke or nip from a cagemate that went unseen.

reenact12321

Post   » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:17 am

When I got home tonight, I could feel a lump has continued to return and attempts to express it were not successful, it feels like the area protrudes back away from the original incision. Some pus came out, but there's some in there and squeezing led to a lot of expressions of pain and little result, however her stitches did open up so perhaps it can dry out more, but I'm not confident.

I will be asking for a referral to a more skilled surgeon in the morning, I think. It sounds like removal of the capsule is the only way this is going to stop. This ritualistic pain and fear for her is leaving me depressed, even if she is happily munching away a few minutes later, the act of coming home and pinning and hurting my pet, morning and night is leaving me torn up inside, and I'm not even sure its helping.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:53 am

I understand how tough it is. Hoping you can get it completely removed on better on the road to healing.

reenact12321

Post   » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:38 pm

So I did a health check on everybody with that in mind and found that of the four, the three adults (including the original pig) all have a slight lump in this area. Not nearly as pronounced as what patient 0 had, but definitely something raisin or peanut sized. Loose in the tissue, and not painful to touch or squeeze. Are these all likely to be abscesses as well? Do I need to seek treatment? And if so what could be causing this?!

They are kept on a Guinea Dad mat but often have hay everywhere, They chew up wicker style huts for fun, could these all be mouth injuries? Should I seek surgery on 3 guinea pigs? This is mind boggling. As with the first pig, I don't see any ill effects, just a little lump in soft tissue. Other than that, they seem to be in the peak of health.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:56 pm

I'll copy my reply here:
Read about Cervical Lymphadenitis (CL) or "Lumps" (See also Tracis' Links topic in the reference forum)
www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 439#160439

Tracis' Links topic:
https://www.guinealynx.info/records/viewtopic.php?t=75

I would remove the wicker style huts.

reenact12321

Post   » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:49 pm

Spoke with my vet today. So far the culture from Eleanor has come back as either negative or anaerobic. She continues to have pus from the wound, though in very smal quantities, I have continued flushing with saline and adding a drop or two of hydrogen peroxide to the mix. I do feel a lump higher in the neck and squeezing that is not issuing anything so I'm concerned that a new pocket has formed despite my attempts to keep things open.

Ethel, the other pig with a large abscess (suspected) on the neck seems fine otherwise, no swallowing or throat issues, but since it is sizeable, I am going to try to get her and Lucy in tomorrow to the vet to start a course of antibiotics until we come to a better plan.

The vet who did the initial surgery (one of his fellow practice members has done some of the follow up with baytril and pain meds) is still dubious about removal due to proximity to critical veins and nerves in the neck, but says that maybe an option now that Eleanor's abscess is considerably shrunken.

One option mentioned that I've not seen on any of these forums or articles he mentioned was lancing of the abscess, draining and installing an antibacterial bead into the wound to kill bacterial growth at the source until it is healed.

Has anyone ever heard of such a procedure?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:15 pm

Yes, it is referenced on this page:
https://www.guinealynx.info/pododermatitis_links.html

I understand raptors sometimes have these beads placed in wounds. It allows the use of antibiotics that would otherwise be dangerous for the animal. Guinea pigs are very sensitive to some antibiotics. However, I think this is done most often when a bacteria has been identified so the right antibiotic can be used. Unfortunately the links are dead but there might be new ones you can google online if you want to know more.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:28 pm

I wouldn't squeeze anything. You're just as likely to force pus further into the tissues in the wound as you are to force them out. Your best bet is to flush the wound with saline, using a large enough syringe that you can apply considerable force to.