Is this Bumblefoot?

Hedra2

Post   » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:00 pm

It never ends. My guinea pigHalloween has been pretty inactive lately while recovering from tooth issues and I’m now worried about his hind feet. They were a little red and now look a bit swollen and crusty. Not sure if it’s the start of Bumblefoot. We actually went to the vet today (2hr Drive there in the snow and another 2hrs back) but when I made the appointment by phone they failed to mention that the vet on staff today knew nothing about Guinea pigs. He was very kind and apologetic but he had no idea. He sent us home with some cream. The guinea pig knowledgeable vet is in Monday so I thought I’d ask here in the meantime.

He’s got it on both hind feet, this is the worse foot

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:03 pm

It certainly looks like it could be pododermatitis (bumblefoot). Some treatment suggestions on this page:
www.guinealynx.info/pododermatitis.html

Let me know if you'd like your photo added permanently to your topic.

Hedra2

Post   » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:36 pm

This poor pig :(

It’s so far to the vet I am hoping I can talk to them on Monday and have them phone in a Prescription at one of the clinics here (the two clinics here won’t see small animals).

(Yes please to photo)

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:59 am

Here's a good thread on bumblefoot with info from a various posters. It includes all the info about our gp's long recovery, spread out over several posts.

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... bumblefoot

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:03 pm

I may be off track here, but is Hedra2 anywhere near Pinta? I didn't see any vet suggestions for her location (province?).

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:20 pm

Pinta knows all the best vets!

Hedra2

Post   » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:55 am

Crap! So my guinea pig has been having some foot issues (possibly early Bumblefoot the vet wasn’t sure) and so he was prescribed a topical cream (despite my complaints) which I put on sparingly on his back feet but it of course did nothing. Yesterday the vet finally gave us an oral med but since the office is close to 2hrs from me, she called a Rx into the pharmacy. I assumed she knew what she was doing but just noticed today (after giving two doses) that it’s on the dangerous list! (Amoxicillin) I will stop immediately and hope I didn’t do any damage to my poor pig. Do you think he will be ok after so little? What meds can be used other than Baytril. Due to work and kids I cannot drive out to the vet until at least next Saturday (unless I can find someone going out that way sooner).

Just to make things worse I just noticed today that our other pig has a cyst in his ear. He scratched it and made it bleed and partially burst. I’m reluctant to take him to the vet now since they don’t seem to know what they are doing. I’m now stressed and worried about both of them.

Hedra2

Post   » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:29 am

I would have checked the list sooner had I known, but I have been so lucky with my pigs in the past I have very little antibiotic experience and I stupidly trusted my vet.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:12 am

You have probably already read this, but info on bumblefoot treatment can be found here:
https://www.guinealynx.info/pododermatitis.html

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:43 am

I am so glad you caught the vet's error! Amoxicillin can be especially deadly. Look over this page - it discusses antibiotic associated diarrhea and specifically mentions amoxicillin:
www.guinealynx.info/diarrhea.html

Does this guinea pig already have a topic? If so, please do not start a new one! It helps us to have easy access to a guinea pig's medical history. At the very least, you must include a link to any previous topic with a summary of that topic.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:56 am

Looks like there is already a thread on this same subject here

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:21 am

I seem to remember bpatters working some magic merging topics. I will try to do this.

Please, Hedra2, do NOT start any new ones!!!!

Edit: I was successful - it was not easy to do! (had to go through several pages of medical topics, trying to find your old topic).