Is this Bumblefoot?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:39 am

I don't think pododermatitis is considered contagious but if we precisely knew the cause and predisposing factors, there could be something (like the presence of staphylococcus aureus bacteria) that could affect it.
https://www.guinealynx.info/pododermatitis.html

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:00 pm

Sorry that you're dealing with so many things all at once. "When it rains, it pours."

I would think that, technically, the bacteria can spread from one part of the body to another but I would generally expect to see this if the original infection wasn't treated or isn't responding to antibiotics. I haven't heard of bumbleboot being contagious, as in infecting more than one guinea pig, but it seems odd that the other pig is now exhibiting signs. You mentioned switching to fleece. What bedding were they on previously?

Renonvsparky

Post   » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:31 pm

I haven't heard of bumbleboot being contagious, as in infecting more than one guinea pig, but it seems odd that the other pig is now exhibiting signs.
I have to agree. If it's spreading to another pig, I'd look at their bedding and anything else in their habitat which they have in common that is causing this and eliminate it. Without reading back, do they share a cage (two of my boars do and the other two don't)? Of course that would make it easier.

Hedra2

Post   » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:10 pm

They did share a cage but they have been in cages that are side by side since December, well before the first signs on either of them. They were on pine bedding but have since been switched to fleece (which I am not loving but I will persist).

The vet saw Halloween and agreed his foot looked like bumblefoot and to treat it as such, it wasn't until after our appointment we noticed a spot on Spooky's foot. It is really small on Spooky's foot.

I will try to get pictures of them both.

Hedra2

Post   » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:12 pm

This is SPooky's foot (pig#2) after being treated with meds and foot washes for 3 days. It looks a little better as some of the scabbing soaked off

Hedra2

Post   » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:33 pm

and this is Halloween's foot after 8 days of antibiotics and foot washes. The scabbing has mostly come off but there is still swelling and the skin there isn't soft like the rest of his feet.

GPIG

Post   » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:20 am

That's a bad vet trying to cover up their ignorance. No other excuse. I'm no expert on medicine for GPs but I do know you never ever give ANY amount of amoxicillin to a GP.

Hedra2

Post   » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:28 pm

(Oops double posted somehow)
Last edited by Hedra2 on Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hedra2

Post   » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:30 pm

Well Spooky's Foot is looking better, almost completely healed up. Halloween’s foot looks the same, it’s soft now but still looks swollen. Antibiotics and foot soaks dont seem to be helping, nor does the bedding change.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:34 pm

Remind me...what antibiotic is Halloween on, and at what dose?

Hedra2

Post   » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:09 pm

Baytril, 0.1 ml of the 10% stuff, twice daily

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:38 pm

What is her weight? I'm just curious if perhaps the Baytril has been under-dosed and therefore not knocking out the infection.