Alleged mammary tumor diagnosis

yourmajusty

Post   » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:28 am

Hello,

I have a female guinea pig who is about 3.5 years old, who has a very swollen nipple.
Its about 1 inch long and has a clear and bloody discharge.
I took her to the vet and they did an extraction of the fluid that same day and looked at it under the microscope.
They said that the fluid had cancer cells present and said it will likely spread.
The vet noted that the cancer had likely spread and surgery might not be successful.
Apparently the surgery would cost about 2,000$ US.

The guinea eats and drinks, has all her hair, and seems happy from what I can tell.
She drinks a lot of water but other than that and the swollen nipple, she acts just like her 2 sisters.
She currently weighs 830 grams.

I have attached some pictures so you can see the condition of the nipple here:

Should I get another opinion from a different vet to actually confirm the diagnosis?
Is the surgery overpriced?
Can I drain the fluid from her nipple to give her some relief?
Any other thoughts, please share below

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:20 am

I think the diagnosis is probably correct, but I'd definitely talk to some other exotic vets about how much they'd charge for the surgery. $2,000 sounds way too high to me. But be sure you're talking to exotic vets -- small animal vets don't get training in caring for pocket pets, and the anesthesia for guinea pigs is tricky.

I'm not sure I agree that it has spread, but another vet could give you another opinion.

Did it swell up suddenly, or has it been there a while?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:44 am

Ditto on everything bpatters has said. It sounds high. Many mammary tumors resolve successfully after surgical removal.
https://www.guinealynx.info/tumor_mammary.html

Let me know if I can add your photos permanently to your topic for future readers.

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:14 pm

I remember researching this issue before. Mammary tumors generally don’t metastasize. The odds are in your favor for a good outcome. Although the cost of surgery can vary by region, I would think $300 to $500 would be more reasonable. As bpatters mentioned, finding a skilled surgeon is extremely important. Ask how many surgeries they have done on guinea pigs and what the outcome was.

yourmajusty

Post   » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:01 pm

The vet said the surgery would likely not be successful since in her opinion the cancer had already spread.
I don't want my piggie suffering and it was recommended that i euthanize her. I took to an exotic vet and in their opinion euthanasia was the best option since she was suffering. I would like to have the tumor removed if at all possible. The swelling accumulated pretty quickly maybe, 1-2 months. The vet also said the tumor was not benign but i am unsure if one can ascertain that information without a biopsy sent to a lab?

I forgot to mention in my original post, the vet also said, my guinea pig likely had a stroke before. She seems kind of drunk too for the lack of a better term, She doesn't hear or see very well, and has bad balance. I would like to keep her going as she seems to enjoy her life even with all these ailments.

Feel free to use any of the pictures I have taken.
I took a look at the other pictures of a mammary tumor and my cavy seems to either have an advanced case or something else potentially?
Is anyone familiar with draining the nipple to possibly giving the cavy some relief?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:01 pm

When I saved and cropped the pictures, I realized the board software had originally made them smaller, to fit in the post. I see more clearly now how serious and large this is. I do not know what to advise you on the draining. I still think surgical removal is an option, and I would not put it off.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:38 am

Here are some vet recommendations from current/past Guinea Lynx members. I don't know how close to them you are. This is how we found our wonderful guinea pig vets. And I agree with everything that's been posted above.

https://www.guinealynx.info/records/view ... f=67&t=268

yourmajusty

Post   » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:53 am

Thank you all for the replies!

My guinea pig sadly has passed away early this morning. I tried to give her the best life possible. I got her from a rescue with another guinea pig. I now have 2 female pigs and 2 males pigs.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:35 am

I'm very sorry you lost her.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:29 am

I am so sorry you lost her, yourmajusty.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:30 pm

I am so sorry. :(