Guinea Pig aspirated vitamin C liquid

Rywen

Post   » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:34 pm

Help. I think my 1.5 year old boar (Bacon) aspirated some of his liquid vitamin C while I was syringing it to him. He choked and coughed about 5-6 times over a period of 5 minutes afterwards. Now he seems fine, eating hay and lettuce.

I’ve heard guinea pigs don’t do well if they aspirate liquid and can easily get pneumonia from it. Is there anything I can do? The only antibiotic I have on hand is trimethoprim-sulfa (Bactrim). Should I start him on it even though it’s not the best for URIs? I’m snowed in, I can get him to the vet tomorrow afternoon at the soonest if that’s what is needed.

Thanks for any help!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:52 pm

I think observing him for problems will be adequate. If he was ill already, this might be more serious.

Any time a guinea pig is ill or you are worried, it is wise to start weighing daily. Weight loss would be a clear sign there was a problem. Other signs of illness:
www.guinealynx.info/emergency.html

Rywen

Post   » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:08 pm

Thanks Lynx!

Bacon was at the (exotics) vet last Tuesday for a check-up and is healthy. I’m one of those (probably crazy) guinea pig parents who starts counting how many times per hour if one of my pigs sneezes.

I weigh weekly, I will weigh him daily for a bit. And I’ll keep a very close eye on him.