Has anyone ever had a guinea pig that got a nosebleed?

blueangora

Post   » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:02 pm

Yesterday one of my pigs, Kale (yes his name is Kale, like the food), got a nosebleed, scaring me half to death! I'd never heard of a guinea pig having a nosebleed before. I took him to the emergency vet and they gave him a fluid injection (to help with blood loss) and some medicine to give orally once a day for a week. The vet had never seen a guinea pig with a nosebleed and couldn't be sure what caused it as there was no physical trauma. I'm going to be monitoring him closely for a while (he seems fine so far).

It made me curious, though, have any of you ever experienced something like this?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:10 pm

I seem to remember this happening to one or two guinea pigs. It could have been an injury, a thinness of the skin over the blood vessel or even a super dry home.

PinkRufus
Contributor in 2020

Post   » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:55 am

We live in a dry climate and over the years a couple of our pigs have had nosebleeds, that were just nosebleeds.  It was scary, but not serious. 

pigjes
Cavy Comic

Post   » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:32 am

I had a pig who had one, and there was still a small piece of hay in her nostril, which I pulled out. I disinfected it, and it healed fast.