Possible mite infestation? Please give me your opinions.

ashrb7

Post   » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:36 pm

I know there is a lot written, but please read all of it in order to completely understand the situation at hand. Thank you.

About a month ago I adopted 2 young female guinea pigs, both a few months old as I was told. They are living in a Midwest Plus Cage, 2x4 with the divider, and during most days and nights when I'm not having company, I leave their gate open so they can have another caged in area to roam that's about the same size of the cage when connected.

Since I got the two pigs, I noticed they have been itching more than what I read would be normal, about several times a day, but not constant. I am always itching in my bedroom where they are living due to the very dry air, so I wasn't sure if this had something to do with it. I took them to a vet who specializes in small animals a few days after the adoption to have them examined. My one pig, Lucia, had an area on her head which looked like black scabbing, but the vet informed me that it was likely just dandruff from dry skin exasperated by the dry conditions in my room.

This was a couple weeks ago, and 2 days ago I noticed a small bald patch under her neck, with a couple small scabs and slightly dry skin. It doesn't seem to have gotten bigger since then but it really concerns me. I thoroughly inspected my other pig Luna and have not found any bald spots or irritation at all.
I'm not sure if this could be part of it, but Luna sometimes gets a little too playfully agressive or dominant and chases Lucia around and sometimes nips and pulls at her rather aggressively, then proceeds to popcorn around. Lucia gets very scared and starts squeaking in what sounds like fear. It doesn't seem like Luna is angry when she hurts Lucia, but maybe more like trying to assert dominance. I'm a new guinea pig owner so these things are not that familiar to me.

I have already ordered pour on topical Ivermectin and studied the dosage chart at https://www.guinealynx.info/topical_iver ... ur-on.html so I am prepared to adminster the medicine as soon as it arrives which should be within the next couple of days. I understand I have to be very careful and precise with the dosages.

I've provided a couple of pictures of Lucia's bald irritated area in hopes some of you can please give me some advice on whether it appears to be a mite infestation. I feel like I should treat them with the Ivermectin no matter what, even if it is just Luna's periodic bullying. If she inflicted those wounds on Lucia though, I am concerned on whether I should be keeping them together. Otherwise they act very friendly and playful together and often eat and sleep huddled next to each other.

Again I apologize for the long text, but as a new guinea pig owner I want to make sure I don't leave out any important details and can get the most useful information possible. Thank you for your help! I greatly appreciate it.

I tried to attach to images through the forum interface but they appeared as broken images so I just shared the links, I hope this is okay. Also I apologize for the pictures not being so clear, she was squirming around quite a bit when I was trying lift her hair back to expose the spot and take the pictures.

https://imgur.com/sWkDXJ9

https://imgur.com/nftwlz3

https://imgur.com/CoajEpL
Last edited by ashrb7 on Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:42 pm

Mites is a good guess, but there may also be an overlying fungal infection. I'd treat with ivermectin (at least three treatments, each seven days apart, four would be better), and also use an antifungal cream on them. It won't hurt, and it may help.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:48 pm

Looking primarily at the light hairless area with a center small scab, this could also be some sort of bug bite. You don't have any bites on you, do you? Any signs of fleas or bed bugs?

Since mites are so common and you have seen the scratching, treating them for mites seems like a good move.

Here is a crop of your clearest picture:

ashrb7

Post   » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:58 pm

Thanks for your replies, I will definitely be treating with the Ivermectin then. Would it be better to use Miconazole or Clotrimazole cream for the possible fungal aspect? I'm reading that both are suitable for guinea pigs but if there is a preference I would rather use that.

Also, I haven't noticed any sort of bug bites on myself or my cat who sometimes walks on my bedroom carpet. He hasn't shown any signs of fleas, no itching or bites and acts just as he normally would. He also receives monthly flea and tick treatments too.