Mold in guinea pig cage on food, Will my piggy be ok?!

JesseDrummer

Post   » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:43 am

I ended up having to leave my guinea pig’s cages a couple of days longer than usual and in that time, all of their cages (three in total for 5 pigs) had white mold on the hay and food. It was mainly just under the surface of sawdust and underneath the feeding bowls. I need to know whether this is anything to be seriously worried about? The worst was Pancake’s cage, there was actually a spot of white fluffy mold. I feel incredibly bad for having to leave them like that. Are there any symptoms of toxicity that I should look for? I’m now panicking thinking that it’s done them actual damage. They all seem to be acting normally, but I feel pancake may have lost a little bit of weight.

Am I panicking about nothing, or do I have anything to be concerned about? I don’t know how long the mold was in there as I’m not sure if it’s been growing on the little damp spots under the surface for longer that I’ve known. This is the first time seeing it like that though.

GrannyJu1
Supporter in '21

Post   » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:21 pm

I've never seen it either. Maybe someone with more experience can help.

reenact12321

Post   » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:49 pm

Most mold is super harmless and it can bloom out of nowhere suddenly if moisture is present. I wouldn't sweat it unless they seem lethargic or having breathing issues. We encounter more mold in our daily lives than most people even realize. It's good to keep things clean and to make sure it's being removed readily but it's not likely to be an issue. The big thing this does kind of tell you is it you ought to step up moisture management. Using a more absorbent bedding and changing it a little more often should avoid any further issues. I would throw away any hay you had out near the cage but mold spores are everywhere and they need just the right conditions of moisture and temperature to bloom.

It's most likely your pigs are smart enough to be think it's yucky and not eat it even if it was there for a bit.

Just an afterthought, it wasn't just white patches from high calcium urine was it? Those can sometimes coat things in a weird way.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:16 pm

Big ditto to reenact12321 when mentioning moisture being present. High humidity counts as moisture. Ditto to reenact12321's suggestions.