Bumble foot or something else?

TacosOtherHalf

Post   » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:01 pm

I noticed today that one of my male guinea pigs has a swollen back toe. There are no open wounds on his foot or anything. It's simply inflamed. It's also a bit darker in color than the others as well. Is there something I can do to lessen inflammation until I get him to a vet? Maybe a compress made out of a chamomile tea bag. Is it Bumble Foot? I have no problem taking him to the vet but I've had quite a few vet expenses with other animals already this year so I don't want to jump the gun if he doesn't need to see a vet. I assume he does though. I use fleece bedding and it's spot cleaned every day and changed completely weekly. None of my other pigs have any issue with their feet.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:21 pm

No, this does not seem to be pododermatitis. You could soak the foot in Epsom salts (follow the warnings not to let the guinea pig wipe the solution in the eye) to see if the swelling lessens.
www.guinealynx.info/pododermatitis.html

Let me know if you'd like your pics added permanently to your topic for future readers.

TacosOtherHalf

Post   » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:46 am

Thanks Lynx! The pictures can be permanently added.
Should I be using unscented Epsom salt?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:14 am

Just plain Epsom salts. It's good for reducing inflammation.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:40 pm

I'd give the foot a water rinse after the soak - it probably says this in the link - to keep the solution out of the eye.