Harvey Medical Thread

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:18 am

You can calculate the dosage he is using on this page:
www.guinealynx.info/calculate_dose.html

It can be used topically, too.

p.s. I calculate (using your numbers) 0.50 mg/kg.
1% ivermectin is 10 mg/ml

rjespicer

Post   » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:05 pm

I just ordered up some ivermectin on Amazon, once I found some one that would ship to CA. 1% injectable.

Our girls dont seem to have any major issues like hair loss but they do seem to scratch a lot and I noticed Chunky has started to develop a slight V shape on her back where she keeps gnawing at something so figured it wouldn't hurt to treat them.

I didn't realize it could be administered orally but I think I will go for topical. Thanks for the links above, they helped a lot. I just realized though I am going to have to order up some of the blunt syringes now though.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:09 am

I like topical best. Always measure doses individually.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:39 pm

If you ordered the injectible (rather than the pour-on formula), you'll need a needled syringe to draw it up. The bottle is similar to an insulin bottle, with a rubber cap on top that you have to pierce. I like the pour-on stuff better just for that reason, and also because it's a weaker concentration and a little easier to measure up. But no worries...folks here can help you with the dose once you have everything you need.

rjespicer

Post   » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:00 pm

Thanks. The Syringes should be turning up today. I will probably try the first dose on Sunday as that is their "Weigh" day. I am trying to limit picking them up to see if that helps them become less skittish. Its also a bot of a chore as they learn fast and know every trick I have used to pick them up so far so run the other way if they see me put a tunnel out or the soft hidey(Which has a base) as they know that is how I have picked them up in the past.
I did consider getting the pour on but the smallest bottle I could find was 250ml which was way too big for the amount I am going to need. The inject able was 50ml and although I am I know I am still only going to be using a tiny amount of that it is an easier bottle to store.

Will post up later just to get a double check on dosage but based on weights it looks like it will be in the 0.045ml to 0.055ml range

HarveytheGP
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:57 pm

Hi all,

Apologies that it's been a while since updating. We gave Harvey the last of the oral Ivomectin on Wednesday of this week. I'm not sure that the mites are fully taken care of (still shedding, recently saw a lot of dandruff, still some itching), but we'll continue to monitor.

We're unfortunately still where we were initially -with Harvey really struggling to urinate/defecate. It's been particularly bad today, primarily with urination. He's able to pee a little bit, but with significant discomfort. I palpitated his abdomen and it seemed that there were two small "lumps" in his urinary tract (I can't actually say 100% I have identified the tubes correctly, but seem to be the tubes leading to his genitalia).

I sent over the x-rays that we had taken on 1/31 to Sef to be uploaded. I do know that stones can form in a matter of weeks, so those x-rays may be moot in terms of the potential formation of new stones. With that said, as I have mentioned previously, Harvey has been uncomfortable urinating since we adopted him.

We're trying to make sure that Harvey drinks as much water as possible today, and will continue to monitor. If the severity continues, I'll make another vet appointment - I'm just getting discouraged with the number of vets that can't seem to find the cause of what's going on. We're also starting to run up against financial constraints in terms of continuous vet visits/investigative procedures.

Any possible help/thoughts would be highly appreciated!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:26 pm

The x-rays that were taken on 1/31 are too old to be of much help. A small stone could have passed since then, or new ones could have formed. The only way you're going to know is with a recent x-ray.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:40 pm

HarveytheGP
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:12 pm

Thank you Sef! Has anyone had experience with a blockage in the urinary tract? There's a visible/"feel-able" bump there that developed seemingly overnight. I don't think it's a stone due to the quickness with which it appeared.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:27 pm

I have had a male guinea pig who had a bladder stone that moved into the urethra before we were able to have it surgically removed, and it created a blockage that quickly became an emergency. In that situation, the vet was not able to extract the stone in time, and the guinea pig died. If Harvey were my guinea pig, especially given that he was already having trouble urinating and now you feel something that could be causing a blockage, I'd want to have him looked at ASAP.

HarveytheGP
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:39 pm

So unfortunately back with a pretty disheartening update. Over the past few days Harvey has developed a very enlarged testicle, that's hardened at the bottom. We took him in to the vet today and they did an ultrasound. The vet thinks that he has either an abscess or tumor in his abdomen, but they wouldn't be able to confirm without doing exploratory abdominal surgery. They think that growth/abscess has been causing his discomfort urinating/defecating, and that it has led to the enlarged testicle. They put his recovery odds for surgery at 50/50, and the initial cost of the surgery would be $2.5k-$3k which is prohibitive for us.

We're attempting to see if antibiotics and pain meds (with an anti-inflammatory) will help turn things around, but I'm not optimistic - and neither is the vet. For what it's worth:
- Enrofloxacin 20mg/mL oral, .5 mL every 12 hrs
- Metronidazole 50mg/mL .3mL every 12 hrs
- Meloxidyl (meloxicam) 1.5mg/mL, .2mL once a day
- Gabapentin 50mg/mL, .25-.5mL two to three times a day

I'm having an internal battle on how to best handle the situation. I want Harvey to be as comfortable/happy as possible, and I'm trying to figure out what truly is a realistic outcome given the circumstances. I honestly think that we're headed towards a scenario where we have to decide to put him down or let nature take it's course. We've only had him for six months and are pretty devastated. I've never been faced with losing a pet, and I'm struggling with the decision making. Any advice would be appreciated.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:48 pm

It's a terribly hard decision to have to make, especially when you have to consider the budget as well.

I know what I'd do, but others will have equally heart-felt leanings in other directions. Personally, I can't stand to see them suffer. GPs don't do well at all with extensive abdominal surgery, and if it is a large mass, there's always the possibility that it's cancer. They might be able to do a punch biopsy and determine that, but I'm not sure I'd even go that far.

I'd keep him happy as long as he's not in any pain, and then I'd have him euthanized. To me, it's the only humane thing to do.