How to bandage a wiggly piggy?

MorganM

Post   » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:41 am

Struggling to treat one of my males who has a bumblefoot. We've been soaking, drying and putting antibiotic cream on it daily. He does pretty well for those things... just put some veggies in his face and he will hold still well enough to soak his foot. Where things get very difficult is when it's bandage time. I can only get about 1 in 5 to stay on longer than a couple hours.

I've read tons of guides... they all just walk thou through the very simple process. That's not the problem; I understand the method. JUST as you get the bandage on he yanks his foot as hard as he can. I've tried keeping treats right by his face and that mostly works but right at the last second he always yanks that foot away. After 2 attempts he's usually just 'had it' and no amount of treats will keep him distracted. I can't overpower him without hurting him.

There's got to be some trick to this... how do vets deal with difficult cases like this? They must have some method of immobilizing the leg and foot.

sef1268
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:36 pm

Has an exotics vet looked at the foot? Bumblefoot can be difficult to treat without oral antibiotics. See:
http://www.guinealynx.info/pododermatitis.html

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:55 pm

Perhaps you can hold it higher up, just above a "knee" joint? Have you looked at this page:
www.guinealynx.info/bandaging.html

MorganM

Post   » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:01 am

Thx, I have read that guide a few times and others. It's great at laying out the process of and what you need. I did learn a lot from that and your other guides.

The problem is that my piggy is quite strong, wiggley and very adept at yanking his foot at the worst possible moment. JUST as I'm securing the bandage he yanks and off it comes

Someone recommend swaddling him and just exposing the front paw in question. He really hated that. Letting ANY paw out gave him just enough leverage and grip to still wiggle and avoid getting a quality bandage on.

I watched that video showing someone swaddle and flip their pig on its back...and the little bugger just sits there, perfectly still, for 10 minutes! Yeah, I could bandage all 4 paws in 5 min if he'd just hold still LOL

Securing his leg above the elbow does help immobilize it. The thing is he feels really threatened when I do that. He feels really trapped and squirms more.

I'm thinking maybe taking a small towel, cutting little holes for his feet. Then suspend him gently and securely. Think of how they move a dolphin ... there's slits for their find in the hammock or sling.

I know it sounds crazy but I'm not sure what else to do.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:35 am

Do you have someone helping you? Can they feed tasty bits of vegetables to distract him?

MorganM

Post   » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:09 am

Sometimes I can get s hand but usually it's just me. I'll have treats right up in his face. That gets me about 30 seconds before even treats don't hold his attention. So I'll get the bandage on quickly but to really secure it is when he gets twitchy and yanks his foot away.

I should add I try not to get him too flustered. When he gets more agitated I stop, calm down, pet him and feed him. Then I'll try again when he's more calm.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:38 am

Sounds like he has you firmly under his paw :-)

sef1268
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:46 am

Are you positive it's actually bumblefoot vs. redness from urine scald? What kind of AB cream are you using? I know you're trying to bandage it, but just an added note of caution to be very careful that he doesn't lick it off.

MorganM

Post   » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:50 am

Lynx: He really does! :D

Sef: I mean... as sure as I can be... did a lot of research and it doesn't look like spurs. Urine scald, from what I've seen, doesn't have the intense swelling that you see in bumblefoot.

All Concerned: I did end up building the dolphin sling hammock thingy. I was surpassed by how well he could still yank his leg but at least he's got nowhere to run. I'm more able to hold him above the elbow there and immobilize the leg enough to get a bandage on. Now I can get a bandage on in just a couple of minutes instead of half an hour. He can also munch on some veggies while I work on him.

Thank you, all!

MorganM

Post   » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:11 pm

Just wanted to give another update.

The sling is great...so glad I made it. His foot is improving!!! After weeks of little change it's finally healing. The key was keeping this bandage on.

Thanks for all the help! I learned a lot from the guides. From getting the right supplies to using them properly

sef1268
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:23 pm

That's great news!

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:49 pm

"the dolphin sling hammock thingy"

Can you post a link to this? And perhaps add your own picture of your sling here?

I can upload it if you don't have a photo account somewhere.

MorganM

Post   » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:47 am

It is great news, thanks!

Yeah I'll try to get a photo or two up soon.

Here's a pic of how they move dolphins.
https://goo.gl/images/xJ46Hq

M1dn1ght

Post   » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:33 am

Morgan -

What an innovative way to solve this problem. I'm so glad to hear that your baby is doing better!

It always amazes me how our little guys prompt some really creative thinking.

Psychobabbler

Post   » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:58 am

That is brilliant - and I can see it being totally useful for nail cutting time!

MorganM

Post   » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:40 pm

I'm so happy and amazed how well hes healing. There is NO scab, red dot, or wound ... Swellong is almost gone.... It looks healed over and just needs to finish healing internally.

Think its 9k to go with out a bandage now?

Should I keep soaking it with 40:1 povidon iodine : water solutuon?

If yes to either...when do I know to stop?

Thanks!

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:43 am

That's good news. I know from personal experience how much of a relief it is when our guinea pigs get well. It feels like a giant weight is lifted. If it's not 100% healed inside and out, I'd keep soaking and keep it bandaged. That's just me. One of the more experienced members might know better or you could ask the vet.

sef1268
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:40 am

Any chance you could post a picture of it here?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:38 am

Here are your excellent pictures!

Your guinea pig looks rather resigned :-)

sef1268
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:17 pm

MorganM, could you also send a photo of the foot as it looks now, for Lynx to post here?

31 posts