Year old male with eye problem

erikafrizol

Post   » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:41 pm

Hi, new to here and haven't figured out how to start a new post so my apologies.

Anyway , its sunday in Boston, MA. We woke up to my 1 yr. Old Male (peanut) with a swollen eye and watery. I saw online about a clogged duct n to do warm compress. Did that a few times (all vets are closed until tomorrow morning) and a few minutes later a lot of that cloudy discharge came out.

Any suggestions on what else I can do for him until the morning? I feel bad and you can tell he is uncomfortable. He just laid there while I massaged his nose with the warm towel. :(

I just got him in February and we then just purchased a 6 week old female a few week ago). I let them hang out supervised after I knew she wasnt sick or n e thing (shes too young to have babies safely so dont want them together yet) and they really love eachother. Not sure if he scratched his eye playing in hay or with Mia? She likes to climb on him. I tried calling a few local vets to set up something for tomorrow but no calls back until am most likely. Anything would be helpful! Thanks in advance.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:48 pm

If you haven't, you might want to read over www.guinealynx.info/eyes.html

Your plan to see a vet asap tomorrow is a good one.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:55 pm

Try to make him as comfortable as possible and keep the eye clean until you can get him to the vet.

I would also caution you about letting him have access to the young female. Breeding guinea pigs is not easy and not recommended for the casual guinea pig owner. It's not nearly as easy as breeding dogs or cats. There's a lot that can go wrong. If you do decide to breed them, I recommend doing so after mountains of research and after careful consultation with an experienced cavy savvy vet. Just my 2 cents.

erikafrizol

Post   » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:02 pm

Hi, Def not looking to breed any time soon. Havent owned a guinea pig in a few years (8) so I have forgotten some of the things that go along with them health wise. I Have however delivered a litter before with my last one. Right now, They only hang out with me sitting there.

He just let me put a warm compress on ...seems like iits painful to touch for him. Hes very quiet n this iis the most noise I've heard him make. Just feel bad. He did let me clean it out with some lukewarm bottled water from a syringe. Hopng he didnt cut it. I just put him back into his home n hes acting himself so hoping hell be okay until morning (of course hes face first in his hay right now so that's my hunch of what's going on). I do clean and sanitize the cages Every day top to bottom as we live in an apartment so I'm not sure how he could get infection but ii guess they aren't the most sanitary animals...thnx for the response!

sef1268
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:49 pm

Do read the link that Lynx posted on eye issues. It sounds like he may have an eye infection from a hay poke or something else that has irritated the eye, which is indeed painful. To avoid possible blindness, please have him looked at tomorrow by an exotics veterinarian who knows how to treat guinea pigs. The vet will need to evaluate the eye to determine if an antibiotic is needed, and can prescribe an anti-inflammatory/pain med to help with the swelling and discomfort.

As mentioned, Guinea Lynx is an anti-breeding website. Please do re-consider breeding your guinea pigs. It's risky and dangerous to mom and her pups, and so unnecessary. There are many homeless guinea pigs at rescues and shelters in need of a home that could be adopted instead. Please read:
http://www.guinealynx.info/breeding.html to better understand the issue.

5 posts • Page 1 of 1