Worried about my baby. Lump and smelly pus discharge !

pf171984

Post   » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:58 pm

Hello to everyone. I am very very sad for my guinea pig and I feel that this is the only place where I can get some good advice and support since you are all true guinea pig lovers. Today was a very stressful and probably one of the worst days of my life. I am the mum of a 5.5 years old male guinea pig. The last 3 days I have noticed that my guinea pig was smelling bad and also he had a watery eye. I have checked him up and I have found a pea size lump between his tummy and his genitals area. It didn't seem to feel any type of pain but I have also noticed that as soon as I was touching the lump he had a really awful smelly discharge from his penis. The discharge was white to yellow color and was a lot of it coming out of his genital area. Immediately I have called to his vet which is an exotic vet and the best here in my country and I took him for a check up. When he had seen him he looked really worried about my pig and when he was pushing the lump he said that pus was coming from his penis and this looks very serious. He told me to leave him to the clinic in order to prepare him for an operation tomorrow morning in order to remove the lump and see what really is the problem but he told me that he believes is serious. From that moment I really feel that the hours are not passing until tomorrow and I am searching all over the internet to check what might be my baby's outcome and whether or not he will survive. I am so sad inside me cause he had no symptoms and he was happy as usual and eating, drinking, peeing and pooping totally normal. I can't believe that I might not be able to see him again. I would love to know if anyone of you can probably tell me what his symptoms can be and if it could be something fatal like cancer or if he can survive. I would love to hear your opinion and sorry for the big post. Thank you in advance!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:46 pm

Hi,
I'm sorry that your guinea pig is ill. Hopefully the veterinarian will be able to give you some answers once the surgery has been performed. My first thought was maybe an abscess on one of his testicles, but you said that the lump is above the genital area? Otherwise, I'm not sure how a lump on his belly could produce pus in his urine. Maybe someone else will have some thoughts on this.

Good luck and let us know how the procedure goes.

pf171984

Post   » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:48 pm

Hello and thank you so much for your reply. Unfortunately a few hours ago my beautiful beloved guinea pig has passed away. I am devastated and cannot believe it or accept it. I got him today from the vet. I went with my husband to get him and the vet told us that he had a deep abscess that was communicating with his penis and that was the reason of the pus discharge. He told us that it was not anything cancerous and that he will be ok. When we took him he was not moving at all and the vet told us that it is because of the anesthesia and that when we will take him to our house in a few hours he will wake up. We took him home and we were next to him for 7 hours trying to speak to him and pet him in order to feel comfortable. We have managed also to put him on a warm pad to avoid hypothermia. Eventhough he was looking like he was in a comma everytime we were calling his name we could hear him try to purr like he was always doing. After 7 hours he passed away and he left us with a really broken heart. I cant really understand what went wrong with the operation. I had hopes that he will still be with me. I miss him already and I wish none will ever pass what I have been through the last few hours.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:18 pm

I am so sorry to hear you lost him. You have all our sympathy.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:54 am

I'm so very sorry, pf171984. It sounds like he may have had a bad reaction to the anesthesia, but it's hard to know for sure. These little guys can be very delicate when it comes to surgery.

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:25 pm

I’m so sorry. It does sound like a bad reaction to the anesthesia but also sounds like he was very sick. He was obviously well-loved and cared for. I hope you can find some comfort in the fact that you gave him a good life.

GPIG

Post   » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:11 pm

This is heartbreaking.

I hate to say it and nothing will bring him back but I do think the vet may have done a few things wrong here. I'm not sure why the vet let him leave so soon and not yet recovering at all from the anesthesia, and especially when he did seem so very ill.

I'm truly sorry. I hope you can take some solace knowing what a great home, full of live you provided for him.

amber89

Post   » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:47 am

I am so very sorry for your loss