small poops

Renonvsparky

Post   » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:33 am

As far as I know, you can crush the vitamin c tablet, dissolve it in water and syringe feed it to him. I didn't use tablets for Scruffy. The vet gave him an injection and his remaining doses were liquid. I don't think it matters as long as he gets it.

sef1268
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:58 am

It's not a good idea to put vitamin C drops in his drinking water, since it quickly degrades. Will he not eat an Oxbow Vitamin C tablet as-is?

Renonvsparky

Post   » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:12 pm

Since you mentioned adding it to his water, I thought I should reinforce what you are saying about that. When Scruffy got sick, the vitamin drops I bought had instructions to do just that, so I did with Mr Bubbles and he refused to drink it. By the end of the day, I found out why. The water had started to get a little cloudy. All I can think of is because the water here has a higher alkaline level it must have reacted with the vitamins or one of the inert ingredients in the solution.

It's really a waste to add it to their water anyway because guinea pigs don't normally drink enough water fast enough to get a full dose. Mr Bubbles eats plenty of vitamin C in his diet now because after Scruffy, I learned a lot about how to make sure of it. However if he needs a boost of vitamin C, I'll give him the drops directly or if necessary, have the vet give him the shot.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:35 pm

Adding it to water that you're going to immediately syringe to them is fine if they'll take it that way. It's the presence of light and vitamin C in water that causes it to degrade pretty quickly. But it's fine if you're just mixing it and giving it to the pig right away.

piggypatrol

Post   » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:43 pm

ok thank you all, i managed to get him to eat half of the oxford vitamin c tablet and some red bellpepper. I see him nibble on some hay on his own and he eats some veggies too and the drool is gone so thats good, how much longer should i be hand feeding him? i took days off work starting wednesday and have been feeding him every 3-4 hours ever since so im trying to make sure he can eat on his own while im off at work on monday. ive also been weighing him and making sure there are no sudden drops in weight. he keeps hovering between 2.52lbs and 2.50lbs

sef1268
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:32 pm

If he's consistently eating well on his own and not losing weight, you should be able to taper off and/or stop handfeeding altogether. How does he seem to be tolerating the antibiotic? How do his feces look? Can't remember without looking back, but did you start him on a probiotic?

Renonvsparky

Post   » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:42 pm

That sounds like a good weight. That's about what my biggest boar is supposed to weigh, but if I don't watch his food intake and give him enough exercise, he'll balloon to over 3 pounds. It's not an exact science, as I've learned, but I stopped hand feeding Scruffy once his weight got back up and he was eating all of his veggies (about a cup) and he was putting a dent in the hay I always keep with him. I tapered it off gradually over about a week.

Your situation might be different. For instance, before illness forced me to hand feed, Scruffy normally ate his veggies all at once when I fed him. Not all piggies do that. My newbies take their time. It takes half a day for them to eat theirs. What did the vet say about it?

piggypatrol

Post   » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:08 pm

i was told about the probiotic from someone on the forums so ive been giving it to him 1-2 hours after the antibiotic the whole time. he doesnt seem to be responding to it much other than not wanting it lol. I remember when i gave my other piggy antibiotics when he was sick he loved it and would want more. his feces are starting to look whole again and not just halves but they are still pretty small compared to normal. I see him nibble on hay but not devour like he used to. He also usually would devour his veggies in one go but would sometimes leave scraps for later. Today i gave him cucumber and bellpepper for some vitamin and water but he only nibbled the cucumber a bit. when i brought the bowls he was begging a bit and was excited but when he saw what veggies they were he didnt grab anything until i put the cucumber up to it then he nibbled and stopped and went to rest. Ill try some lettuce later since he ate that up yesterday

sef1268
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:10 pm

What about pellets? What you described him eating on his own isn't sufficient to maintain weight.
Last edited by sef1268 on Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

piggypatrol

Post   » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:15 pm

he hasnt really touched pellets, in fact both my piggies arent touching the pellets i have no idea why. they will eat a couple but only really pay attention to the hay. My piggy i have seperated from the other two eats them just fine and is healthy, maybe they are bored with them? i can try getting a different brand. I gave Oliver a bigger dose of CC around 1pm (4ml) and 2ml water and before that i had woken up early and gave him about 3ml so its possible hes just full.

30 posts