URI, fluid Around Organs?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:36 am

It is worrying that she is lethargic, though, with decreased appetite. Also, sneezing. What dose is the Baytril, and how long has she been on it? Are you using a probiotic with it?

DaisynButter

Post   » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:40 am

She’s been on baytril for 10 days, 0.4ml per 12 hrs.

DaisynButter

Post   » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:02 pm

I'm not using probiotics but I think her pellets include probiotics and she's eating them empty every time. Should I supplement her in addition to that?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:21 pm

Maybe look at the bag and see if any sort of probiotic is listed. What brand is it?

DaisynButter

Post   » Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:56 am

It’s Kaytee Timothy complete which is corn free and doesn’t have any colorful junks/chews mixed inside...I know Kaytee isn’t the best brand, but I have fed her oxbow before which she refused to eat so I just continued Kaytee. Maybe I would switch later. On the bag, it says that it contains probiotics and prebiotics.

Today Butter is a bit more energetic but still sleeps more overall. Her appetite is ok. Her poops are softer, dark, smelly and kind of longer than they were before we visited the vet earlier in the week, but there’s no watery poo or diarrhea. Her poops have always been solid, hard and scentless before. Is it because she’s not getting enough probiotics to counteract the baytril that her digestive system could be affected by? I also noticed tonight that she kind of had a little squeak and jump when she pooped (she doesn’t do that all the time) which worried me. But she didn’t seem to have any discomfort when I squeezed her abdomen gently.

Another question— when guinea pigs need to wear down their teeth more when they lose appetite, do they make clicking sounds with their teeth? I noticed her make some sounds two days ago but it disappeared after she started chewing the Timothy chew I gave her and the cardboard box.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:46 am

I wouldn't rely on probiotics in the pellets to be of any use. You don't know when the pellets were milled, and there's no way to know how much or what type of probiotics they are. Kaytee is a notoriously poor quality pellet, and she'll naturally want it over something more nutritious (think in terms of kids wanting treats vs. eating their veggies). You should consider gradually switching her back to Oxbow or KMS Hayloft. You can mix a little of the better pellets with the Kaytee, slowly increasing it over time until all that remains is the "good" stuff. This will also help avoid stomach upset vs. a sudden change in diet.

In the meantime, I'd definitely add a probiotic such as acidophilus. It may very well help with her stools and appetite. There are many types available; this is the one I buy from Amazon.com:

You can just open the capsule and sprinkle roughly half on her veggies. My guys have all liked the taste of this stuff.

Teeth chattering or chewing unusual items in the cage could be a sign of pain or otherwise feeling unwell.

DaisynButter

Post   » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:58 pm

I will order the probiotics and gradually switch pellets. She is still lethargic today and does not have much appetite for hay. I am just confused why it suddenly happened while the vet didn't find anything wrong with her body -- she was eating non-stop and very energetic just a few days ago, which continued for 2 days after Daisy passed away. Then she suddenly became like this. I don't think her URI has caused this. Is she grieving about Daisy after realizing that she won't come back? :( Or did she also get the infection that Daisy might have had but Baytril is helping it?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:21 pm

I don't know. I don't understand about the fluid that showed up around her organs, and the vet's assertion that it was fine and nothing to worry about. Any time there is fluid showing up on rads, it's a concern. It makes me suspect an enlarged heart or pneumonia if the fluid was specific to the lungs. I don't know if this could be related to her cagemate's death, but the timing certainly seems odd. I have personally seen a guinea pig grieve the loss of a companion, but in this case I'd want to rule out a physiological explanation first.

What is her weight today? I wanted to double-check that Baytril dose, but also need the strength/suspension that you were given in addition to her current weight.

DaisynButter

Post   » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:34 pm

Her weight is 730 grams. Her Baytril dose is 0.4 ml per 12 hours and we're feeding her critical care 6-12 ml for one to two times each day. I just noticed her poo is a bit runny tonight, but it's not diarrhea. She's going crazy for zaher veggies and treats, but not eating as much hay. Could it just be a side effect from the antibiotics? This started maybe two to three days after she started the antibiotics.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:40 pm

I need the strength of the Baytil suspension that you were given. Does it say this on the bottle? Very possible that the antibiotic has messed up her appetite.

DaisynButter

Post   » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:49 pm

The bottle says 20mg/ml, thank you!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:13 am

That dose looks right to me, if the vet is prescribing it at 10mg/kg (range is 5-20, I think), but someone else can double-check my math:

10 x .7 = 7 / 20 = .35 cc

Runny stools would be diarrhea, which is often caused by this particular antibiotic.