Persistent Ear Infection

tms8

Post   » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:10 pm

Also, If anyone has a spreadsheet or feeding chart for guinea pigs on a hay/vegetable only diet I would appreciate the help!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:52 pm

He needs pellets less than he needs any other food. He'll do fine on hay and veggies, but make sure it's mostly hay, and that he gets some colored veggies, as they're more nutritious.

I wouldn't do a multi-vitamin tablet every day. Some of those vitamins are fat soluble, and guinea pigs are mostly fat! You could give one every third day or so.

sef1268
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:29 pm

You could also try Zupreem brand pellets. They're an alfalfa-timothy mix, but do not contain calcium carbonate -- an ingredient that could be problematic for stone-prone pigs. I used Zupreem for quite a while before Oxbow changed their formula and after KMS changed ownership, and they were well-liked.

tms8

Post   » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:54 pm

Update:

I rushed Golgi to the ER last night because he was crying in pain while defecating. As I suspected he had two bladder stones and is in surgery today. His litter mate died from an obstructive stone. I am paying $3-3.5k for the surgery in addition to what I've already spent on the ear infection. Since stone re-occurrence is common I was wondering if anyone has been quoted a lower price for stone removal along the east coast (as far north as Maine, as far south as Philadelphia). The price seems astronomically high compared to what I have been reading.

sef1268
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:25 pm

Ouch. That does seem steep. I can't really offer much in the way of a comparison price, though. I'm in the Midwest and have typically paid around $500 for the procedure.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:15 pm

I paid $400 for one stone surgery, and I think $650 for the second.

tms8

Post   » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:23 pm

It ended up being $2.5k. Do you know if it's normal following surgery for there to still be pain and vocalization when urinating/defecating? I'd say since I brought him home 2-3 days post-op (operation was on the 10th) he still has stomach pain and pain while urinating/defecating. Is it possible he's already formed another stone? The vet said some amount of inflammation is expected and as long as he's urinating and defecating it's not an emergency. I was wondering if the pain is normal a week post-op?

sef1268
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:41 pm

It can be. It depends on how extensive the surgery was, and how much irritation/inflammation to the bladder wall the stone had caused. I've had pigs who continued to have blood in his urine and discomfort while urinating/defecating for several days post-op. Were you given anything for pain, such as Tramadol or Metacam?

tms8

Post   » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:50 pm

Yes he is on both. The blood in his urine is gone, but he's still having painful urination/painful abdomen which worries me. I know in addition to removing the bladder stones, they flushed out his urethra. I'm not sure if this could be the cause of his discomfort.

sef1268
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:59 pm

I would say it's quite likely. How much Metacam are you giving him?

tms8

Post   » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:04 am

He's getting 0.08mL (1.5mg/mL) of Metacam and 0.4mL (10mg/mL) of Tramadol.

sef1268
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:13 am

What is his weight? If it were me, I'd be inclined to bump the Metacam up slightly (unless he's severely underweight) and see if that helps.

tms8

Post   » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:33 pm

He’s actually lost half a pound through this whole ordeal. He weighs 2lb 8oz now. He was on a higher dose of metacam previously. It’s interesting sometimes he urinates with minimal/no pain, but while/right after I feed him critical care the pain is very bad. Maybe it’s just from me manipulating him, I usually feed him upright against my chest.

sef1268
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:11 pm

Could very well be. Does the incision look okay?

tms8

Post   » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:26 pm

The incision looks fine for the most part, part of it is a little swollen, but I think that’s just from the tightness of the sutures. I’ve spent some time watching him, and his vocalizations while urinating are definitely minimal unless I’ve been handling him and putting pressure on the surgical area. I’m trying to avoid doing it as much as possible when feeding now. He has been grinding his teeth nonstop though...

sef1268
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:44 am

Sounds like you may need to be slightly more careful when handling, for now. With a couple of our guys post-op, I created a sort of "piggy elevator" to lift them up out of their cage -- a towel, upsidedown hidey or small basket, whatever worked (they would step into it; I'd carefully lift them out) -- to avoid pulling and stretching the incision site too much. They would then stand on the kitchen counter to have their meds and handfeeding, and then we'd repeat the process of stepping into the elevator and lowering them back into their cage. If you do that, just take care that they don't jump.

Unless your vet had a specific reason for lowering the Metacam dose, I think I'd try .1cc for a day or two and see if that little bit extra helps.

tms8

Post   » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:52 pm

Thanks so much for the help sef. The vet got back to me today, apparently the culture results show he has evidence of a UTI. She said the current antibiotic he's on should be effective (weird since he was on it two weeks prior to surgery). Honestly, I'm more concerned about his teeth grinding/jaw pain and his back foot. One of his nails seemed bruised/necrosis and he has a fluid-filled blister. Evidently, he's not putting much weight on that foot. I'm pretty sure they shaved it during surgery and he's been picking at it. He does seem to be in much less pain when pooping/peeing so I'll take the small win.

sef1268
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:28 pm

What's he on? SMZ?

Teeth grinding can be an indication of pain anywhere in the body, not necessarily the jaw or teeth. Did you ask your vet about bumping up the pain meds a bit?

The foot issue sounds a little concerning. Any chance you could post a picture of it here? I'd definitely want to have that looked at, if it seems infected. When do you go back to get the sutures taken out?

tms8

Post   » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:41 pm

Yes, he's on SMZ. I'll ask about bumping up the pain medication on Wednesday when I go. I thought teeth grinding could just be general pain (maybe even in response to his foot), but I know the vet said he had slight malocclusion based on the CT-scan and the underside of his mouth/neck is also sore to the touch. I just emailed the resident vet about all this so they're ready Wednesday when he goes. I'll try to post a picture of his foot next time he's being handled (I've seen plenty of pictures of bumblefoot, but thats not what it looks like). I think the leg itself is fine, he's still scratching with it.

sef1268
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:49 pm

Poor guy! He has a lot going on. Good luck at the vet on Wednesday. I hope the antibiotic clears up the UTI. Any idea what caused the foot issue?

59 posts