Straining to poop (or possibly pee)

Brist1cm

Post   » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:37 am

Hi everyone, I am hoping to get feedback and advice about my pig because she strains to poop every-so-often, and in the past few months its been happening more frequently. I recently moved to another state, so I am attempting to find a cavy-savvy vet near me, so I can take in her in within the next few days (it's presently friday at midnight). I have a female named Bella who has had 0 problems, but Bailey on the other hand has several. Both are around 2.5 years old. Bailey has had a URI, and some sort of bacteria infection with a bloody bum and diarrhea about a year ago that was treated with antibiotics.

Recently she has been making a squawk noise and seemed to be straining when assuming the "poop position". I heard this same noise and saw these strains when she had the infection over a year ago. BUT more recently she will strain and make this noise for a few hours and I will either place a bunch of hay throughout that cage for easier access in all her hiding spots OR feed her some critical care. For background info, this has been happening 2-10 times a month for the past two-three months. Now that I am officially out of college and moved into my new place I am looking to get this resolved because it upsets me to see her in pain. She is still eating and drinking, but when she initially gets in these spells she won't eat for an hour or so, but she's maintaining her weight and overall eating normally. Her poops are usually normal formed, but often become softer than the normal "black bean" style pellet poops (however, not cecal poops) during these straining events. She also eats kaytee pellets and oxbow orchard grass hay for the record. Also more times than not these events happen a several (10-15) minutes after I feed them their variety of fresh veggies at night. I am also not sure if the change in the overall water (changes in salts) from moving states could be also an irritant. The past two times this has happened (twice in the past week and half) she has been kicking her back legs out like she's stretching or laying down, then she immediately gets up, hunches, squeaks, and strains to what I believe is poop. I have videos, but I am not entirely sure how to post them on feed.

I would love anyone's thoughts, feedback, advice. Does this sound dietary, like she is intolerant of the veggies? If you know any cavy-savvy vets near Chaska Minnesota (30 minutes SW of Minneapolis) please let me know. I just want to be prepared because I feel like some vets don't know what direction to look in unless I have a solid background. Has anyone else had a pig who strains to poop? How did you resolve it? Could it be a stone? a mass? bad gut bacteria? I tried reading several old feeds, but usually they were left unresolved which worries me for Bailey's quality of life.

Thank you in advance!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:16 am

Have her x-rayed to see if she has a bladder stone. And if you google "exotic vets Minneapolis" without the quotes you'll get a bunch of hits.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:23 am

Ditto bpatters. This does sound like classic signs of stones. An xray is the only way to know for sure.
www.guinealynx.info/stones.html

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:02 am

Absolutely, I would want to rule out stones first and foremost. That this seems to go in cycles, could be that she's making small stones and then passing them.

Secondary to that, I'd want to check for a urinary tract infection:
http://www.guinealynx.info/uti.html

Brist1cm

Post   » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:06 am

Thanks guys, I think it has to do with her pellets now that I think about it. She's is a pellet crazy piggy and recently they stopped selling the ones I used to buy. So in the past few months I started buying another one that she would eat, since she's picky (my mom got the wrong one while I was in town once so I just picked up that brand). I just looked at the ingredients and it's loaded with calcium and the first ingredient is alafa. So it fits the time frame of when these events started happening a few months ago. I'm going to get her into the vet after I received a recommendation. I'll request some xrays. Does anyone have suggestions for a brand or type of pellets? I feel like a terrible piggy mom, this could have all been possibly avoided if I read her new pellets ingredients, I shouldn't have assumed my mom would have paid attention when buying pellets. But we're making an immediate change, so I hope it helps.

My only question is why does it usually happen after fresh veggies? Is it because she's eating more rapidly/ since veggies has a higher H2O content than hay so she has to pee more? Why does her pee usually look normal? What would her pee look like if she passed a stone?

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:54 pm

Again, hunching, straining and crying when eliminating are very closely associated with bladder stones. And, to a lesser degree, urinary tract infections (although, UTIs can happen concurrently when there are stones, as chronic irritation and inflammation of the bladder wall can set up an opportunity for bacteria to invade). A connection with veggies could be that the water content increases her need to urinate; inreased urination further irritates the bladder; etc.

I would find a guinea pig-savvy vet as soon as possible and have xrays done to rule stones out. In the meantime, do start making a switch from Kaytee pellets, which is a crap product. Better choices are Oxbow timothy pellets or KMS Hayloft timothy pellets.

lisam

Post   » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:55 pm

KMS Hayloft is my favorite, then Oxbow, then Small Pet Select.

Some females can pass stones, others need help. Does the area around her genitals seems swollen? Sometimes a stone will lodge there. An X-ray is the only way to be sure if there are stones, and the size. I believe it will also show sludge.

X-rays are expensive, and some vets will try to save you money and suggest trying antibiotics first, but in my experience it's best to know right away if stones are present.

Brist1cm

Post   » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:25 pm

Thanks guys. She's scheduled for an appointment this week, I'll let you know how it goes. Also I have both my girls on vitamin c and digestive support tabs from oxbow. I saw that they have a urinary support one too. Have any of you had experience with those? I might switch out the digestive support if highly recommend, I don't want them to have too many "treat" tabs lol. We also switched their water to reverse osmosis water and as I wait for the KMS pellets to arrive we've switched to the oxbow adult natural pellets which they've been eating... They ate oxbow when the were babies, but eventually grew out of eating them when I switched them to the adult formula (so I'm pleasently surprised they're eating it!). Bailey hasn't made any squeaks or hunches since Friday night when I posted. Like I said the events are only for a few hours every so often then they go away, but still concerning.

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:51 pm

Sounds like you're doing all the right things. Have you noticed any sludge in her urine? One other thing that I have noticed...many of my guys have produced sludge when fed romaine lettuce. One in particular would hunch and cry whenever he produced sludge. After realizing that romaine was the culprit, it was eliminated from their diet and I haven't fed it since.

Brist1cm

Post   » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:28 pm

I am trying my best. My pigs bring great joy to me. Anyways, I haven't noticed any sludge. They live in a flecee lined caged, so I think I would be able to notice it fairly easy. Also, I haven't caught on to any patterns of veggies that irritate her, but I also feed them a handful of 4 or more different veggies every night so it's harder for me to tell since there is a variety. Maybe I can only feed one type veggie at a time to see if there's one in particular that causes her to hunch and squeak.

Brist1cm

Post   » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:01 pm

Finally back from vet. She stated that there was no signs of stones or sludge at all from the xrays and the urinalysis didn't show any red or white blood cells. But she looked bloated compared to her sister and bloated on the xray. So she believes it's slow gut movement. She prescribed metoclopramide for 5 days and bene-bac which there's enough dosage to last 120 days. I asked if I should cut down and veggies and she agreed that's a good idea. So hopefully Bailey is just gassy and there's no more incidents after this!

Sef
Supporter in 2019

Post   » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:16 pm

Sounds like a very good plan. What is her diet?

13 posts • Page 1 of 1