She has totally bounced back today. Had to be hunted down for her meds as she was running all over the living room and kitchen. Her sister Snowflake is also on heart meds and now cartrophen. There was a third sister who died of heart failure at the age of 3. That was enough to put us on red alert for the other two. Snowflake is also our tumor pig. She has a massive most likely benign tumour(or she'd be dead by now) in her tummy. Her age is very high risk to operate plus she has a weak heart and tumours are apparently a bitch to remove. So we monitor and feed her extra food (tumour taking up real estate in stomach area). She begs for Critical Care by standing in front of us and blocking our way until she gets a few hits. Ensures we don't move by firmly standing on our feet to hold us down.
I didn’t sleep last night and I’m really angry and distraught. How can he not let me try an ACE inhibitor you ask? He says if there is no fluid in the lungs there cannot be heart disease. It’s a flat statement that he refuses to budge on. No fluid = no heart problem. I told him there are people with huge herds and decades of experience that absolutely have success with heart meds even when the pigs aren’t lethargic or have fluid in the lungs. His answer, of course, is that it’s not in journals so it doesn’t mean jack. But even if there was fluid he’d fricken say it was pneumonia and still shove antibiotics at me!
He said Button has something In his throat and ACE inhibitors cause higher blood to flow to areas which may cause his larynx to swell and cut off breathing. He told me to double the dose of metacam to try to reduce swelling. He insists that Button has an infection in his throat. I said if it had been there this long it should’ve gotten worse and he said not true, that it might be encapsulated and be just bad enough that he’s able to maintain. I asked why we should try a third antibiotics when SMZ and Baytril didn’t work and he said chloramphenicol treats anaerobic bacteria and the others don’t.
The closest I got to any heart treatment was him saying he would be willing to try injectible lasix if the metacam doesn’t work in a couple of days. Button does not need a diuretic!
I am going to make an appointment with the vet who is an hour and a half away from me. It’s going to means a lot of time off work but I’ve had it with this. It’s literally making me sick to see Button not get the opportunity to try something that might quickly make his life better.
I would just like to say. I understand you perfectly. I belive dr Burgess is very experienced and very good vet. I said i ve had it with our vets many times, but if this is the best option..i ll stick with it, doesnt matter how hard it is for me and it is. But it gets as far i did search for other vet too..i am gonna first try with them, again..i dont care what they think of me
Dont loose any sleep..cause you Will only be more distraught, more confused etc. Be confident, cause if you are not like i wasnt last time-i need x-ray i didnt get one. I drive for nothing...for just a check-flouroscopy.
When Iam angry i go to forrest and loose it there..it helps. And maybe go directlyat vet. Confident and direct. Like our vet said once, now we re gonna wait. And I was like if it was your pig we would wait, too? Or I said how can I know that you know what you are doing(before diagnosis)? Or I said directly as it gets-i cant loose pig, caus ei cant live without him. And once I even nearly cried there..do you get it, now if you want it like this.
But next time i was very very prepared what i am gonna say. Dont be over intelectual or diplomatic.
I just really understand you and wish your pig really the best..sending positive vibes..i had to respond, cause i know its so awful to be treated like that.:(. I really do.
And next timeyou go to vet..listen on YouTube. Axl Rose speech Oklahoma. ;) Dont letanybody get in your way. Ever. And bring somebody with you,
somebody who really doesnt care and went through a lot in life. I ll bring my brother to ours, cause his not bothered what some vet said at all. Wish you good luck!
If there's fluid in the lungs that means they have untreated heart issues. Fluid is the end stage. Heart meds hold off the fluid in the lungs. Lasix is the last resort. Once you're into administering Lasix you have to compensate for the dehydratiion with fluid subcues.
Encapsulated infection sounds like an abscess. They get bigger until the finally come thru - If you're lucky they come out through the skin rather than under the skin spreading bacteria. It sounds like your vet would rather believe Buttons has a rare disease than a common chronic issue.
I can't guarantee it's heart but I'm pretty sure it's something that should be ruled out before trying all that other stuff.
While Button was on a lower dose of metacam and the nebulizer treatment his breathing was noisy and awful. When I doubled the dose as prescribed he sounded scary bad. With every breath his nostrils flared wide and he made choking sounds. It was scary.
So today I decided to give him no metacam and he’s currently still breathing harder than a healthy pig but he is virtually silent. I made him move around a couple of times to make sure he wasn’t just super relaxed and still, no nostril flaring and very little noise even when eating.
- Supporter in 2019
It seems like too much of a coincidence that Metacam use, and especially a higher dose (which was what?), exacerbated his breathing issues.In heart failure, the kidney is exquisitely dependent upon vasodilating prostaglandins to maintain renal perfusion and salt and water balance. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) decrease prostaglandin synthesis and, thus, may precipitate fluid retention in patients with heart failure.
Did you say that you were going to make an appointment with another vet for a second opinion?
Button weighs 1,300g
The metacam is 1.5mg/ml
He was on 0.20ml per day and it was increased for one day to 0.40ml
Yes, I’m going to make an appt with another vet but all of the exotics vets appear to be booked out for weeks. In Button’s case I’ve been doing “emergency drop-offs” where they squeeze in a pig between appointments. I hate doing it but sometimes they simply can’t wait two weeks to be seen. A new vet won’t let me do that (I’ve tried when this vet was closed and I had a pig in crisis).
Button’s issue is really frustrating. After sounding great for several days he now sounds as awful as he used to before I started any of the treatments.
Is it possible he’s got an upper palate problem? It sounds so much (now) like it’s in his head or upper throat. I’ve had a lot of time sitting here handfeeding him, listening and watching him eat. I wondered if it’s possible he has a malformed or hole in the top of his mouth that causes air to flow wrong.
Grasping at straws...